Chapter 22

"Kawaki?" Sarada called the moment she opened the rooftop door.

The subtle sound of metal creaking as well as the soft breeze welcomed her as she slowly walked out to the open while closing the door behind her.

Sarada scanned the seemingly empty rooftop until her searching eyes landed on Kawaki's back.

He seemed too focused on the view of the sunset in front of him that he didn't noticed her approaching with tentative steps.

The earlier blue sky was now painted in gold and orange. Kawaki cannot help but associate those colors to both Boruto and Naruto. Radiant and bright. Resplendent.

"It looks breathtaking," she muttered absentmindedly as she stood beside him.

"Yeah," Kawaki breathed without looking at her.

Lifting her gaze to his side profile, she noticed how peaceful he looked with the way the orange sunlight kissed his skin. Bathing him in its warm light.

It's been almost half an hour since Sarada received a message from Kawaki telling her to meet him at the rooftop at a specific time. Of course she said she'll come especially when he told her that it was about something important.

She asked him what it was about but he only said that he'll tell her in person and that made her all the more curious.

So here she is, standing beside him while looking at the vast horizon in comfortable silence.

Not until Kawaki uttered something that made Sarada stiffen.

"You know... I really like you, Sarada."

Kawaki took a step back to face the now wide-eyed girl. Shoving both hands inside his pockets, he licked his slightly chapped lips while waiting for her response.

His heart was racing in anticipation, worry, and anxiousness. He wasn't expecting to be this nervous as he finally confessed his feelings.

The moment he learned about Boruto's feelings for the girl, he grew restless and a sense of what seemed like fear took over him.

He can't really pinpoint what kind of fear it was he was feeling but it's what forced him to gamble. He took a big risk into confessing knowing that there's a big chance that Sarada doesn't feel the same way.

Worst case scenario, she might even avoid him after this and treat him like a stranger.

Kawaki felt his mouth ran dry at the thought of being ignored again, only this time it would be by Sarada.

And the idea of it made his heat drop more than when everyone seemed to have been treating him like an outcast even before he met her.

Sarada forced a laugh.

It was then it dawned on him that she didn't feel the same.

"I like you too..." She replied.

"You're a really great friend of mine." It was almost a whisper but it was enough to reach Kawaki's ears.

The blackette gave him a brief glance before smiling softly. Her insides were trembling in pure anxiousness but instead of giving it all away, she managed to hide the slight tremor of her lips.

Sarada was not dense. She knew that isn't what Kawaki was trying to say but she was too afraid to confront his feelings she decided to just subtly turn him down.

They were still friends. The least thing she wants is for them to be awkward and avoid each other. So this was her way of saving what friendship they have.