Chapter 27

Kawaki stared down at his shoes in deep thought. He was leaning against the tree just a few feet away from where Sarada and Sumire stood but it didn't stop him from hearing a gist of what they were talking about.

He is by no means the type of person who eavesdrop and meddles in other people's business, but even he thinks what Sumire asked of Sarada was kinda unfair.

Well, not like he can do anything about it other than give Sarada a bit of a nudge so she can come to a realization and take action.

Sarada is too selfless. And Kawaki only wanted her to realize that, before anyone else... she first should think about herself. 

Before giving into what others want, isn't it only natural to prioritize what you want?

Because sometimes an act of selflessness can also end up in regret. And Kawaki doesn't want that to happen to Sarada.

He admits he still likes her but the only difference is that unlike Sumire, he's not the type who will do any kind of act just to trap the person he likes and force her to like him back. Especially if that person already has feelings for someone else.

And perhaps that's what makes his feelings for Sarada different from that of Sumire to Boruto.

Because he is willing to give up pursuing her if it means she'll be happy with another person.

Kawaki shook his head, a bitter laugh escaping his lips as he leaned away from the tree he was hiding once the two girls were out of sight.

How ironic it is for him to think that Sarada should not act too selfless when here he is doing just that.

But then again... this is different. Because when he saw the look in Sarada's eyes the moment he confirmed Boruto and Sumire's engagement... It struck him that Sarada might never like him in a romantic perspective.

Not when she likes Boruto.

---

"I'll support you."

Sarada shook her head, suddenly reminded about her talk with Kawaki during dinner.

Whatever does he mean by that?

As though his words were a puzzling riddle, it kept Sarada awake for the rest of the night, only getting sleep for three hours.

And now... she felt sluggish and sleepy while listening to Shino who was enthusiastically teaching them about some kind of bug and it's body parts.

On top of that...

Sarada sighed before shifting on her seat, dark eyes trailing behind the expanse of Boruto's back who sat a few seats in front of her.

Up until now, he still kept on ignoring her as if she has some sort of highly infectious disease. She looked back on her empty notes, a heavy feeling stuck on her chest making it a little harder to breath.

She had already decided to keep any thoughts of Boruto out of her mind. But why does it seem impossible to do just that?

Is it because she can still see him everyday? That's why she's always reminded of his presence and his unusually kinder treatment towards Sumire.

When lunch came, Sarada felt like the food tasted bland. But she forced herself to finish all of it even though the view in front of her made her food all the more unappetizing.