➸ Uno; A New Era

I hope you're happy but don't be happier

~ Olivia Rodrigo, Happier

The first thing Lorelei had done that morning was head straight to her Archmages' personal office. Of course, the castle was once her home when she was forced into Archmage training, so she knew exactly where to go from the room she woke up in. Conveniently, it was her bedroom.

As she turned a corner, she came to a halt, noticing a picture of her mother - still framed and in the center. Why was that still there? She thought to herself. Of course, Lorelei's mother had told her what happened all those years ago when her mother first figured out what Archmage had planned for her.

You see, Lorelei's mother didn't like his plans. So she ran away, taking her daughter, and was fortunately accompanied by her mother - Lorelei's grandmother. Managing to hide for five years was hard. Especially since she couldn't give up her magic in the realm the trio escaped into.

Nothing good came when Archmage finally got a hold of the Clarks. He had forced his ex-partner into giving up her magic, of course, usually, he was ruthless and wouldn't think twice to punish someone severely. But he loved the woman. He wouldn't hurt someone he loved. That's why Lorelei was so hurt about the Joker-Scarecrow situation. He hurt her during training, sent guards after her. But that was truly the only time he purposefully caused pain to her.

After finding out the history between her mother and her Archmage, she was sure he was done with everyone else in his family - Lorelei being the one and only exception. So to see her mother still hanging up in the castle walls, it had brought back the pain she pushed away.

If he couldn't torture her mother, why did he torture her?

Had she deserved it? She didn't believe so. She only ran when she discovered the harsh truth about his plans. Which, ironically, the unwanted serum injected into her was part of.

"This always was my favourite painting of your mother," He spoke behind the young witch, startling her. "We have some business to talk about, Little Screams."

She looked up to him, glaring. "What did you do to Jason?"

"I took care of him," He shot her a smug grin. "I told him you finally accepted your destiny."

Lorelei went to disagree with him but decided against it, knowing that there would be time for that later. "Why haven't you run back to him yet?" He asked the redhead.

"I know better than trying to escape you. I don't want to put him in any more danger, besides, you brought me here for a reason and I have full intentions of finding those out before leaving." She spoke, looking back towards the painting of her mother, finding a drop of comfort.

She rolled her eyes as he spoke. "Smart girl. Give me three months to prepare you for your coronation. By then, you'll want to accept the throne. I guarantee it."

Lorelei opened her mouth to speak but was very quickly stopped before she could mutter out a sound. "Before you refuse, I want to remind you what will happen to Jason's safety."

"What would happen after those three months if I don't want the throne?" She asks, thinking about what this entails.

"You're free to go once you find a new Archmage." He says, looking down at her.

Lorelei sighed. "Will all my loved ones remain safe from our realm and its dangers?"

The Archmage knew this was the only way to get her to stay. So, accepting her deal was easy. Truly, they both received what they wanted. "Of course. As long as they don't interfere with your training. Jason, your mum, everyone. I'll leave them all alone. Free to live however they want."

As soon as she spoke the words of agreement, she felt a part of her die. Asking for one more thing, she ran as soon as she was given permission, panting as she reached the portal and walked through it.

She walked up to her Phobia suit that was conveniently in the Batcave, next to the Robin suit. She can almost hear Jason that second. I thought we were partners. He would be hurt. That's maybe what hurts the most right now - not the fact her freedom was gone for three months. Rather, it was the fact that Jason wouldn't be waiting on her return.

It was easier for Jason this way. For him to begin to hate her. She picked up a pen that was next to a piece of paper and wrote a goodbye letter to everyone she cared for. One for her mother. One for Jason. Bruce and Alfred. The Titans. Four letters, all heartbreaking as she said her goodbyes.

A thank you to her mother for protecting her for so long, explaining exactly what was happening, and kindly asking her not to tell Jason the truth if he asked. Another thank you to Bruce and Alfred for all they had done - for helping with her powers and the suit she had grown to love during her times in San Francisco with Jason and the Titans. A sorry to the Titans for leaving so abruptly and that the 'hero life just wasn't for her anymore'.

Then lastly, a heartfelt letter for Jason that left her sobbing. Honestly? In this letter, Lorelei was just rambling nonsense that she hated. Telling him to move on because she wasn't worth it and she didn't know if she was coming back. She tried to stop herself, but she couldn't help it.

It was sort of ironic. The very trope she hated and she had found herself caught up in it. Why oh why did she have to be in this situation?

She looked at Jason's letter, adding instructions on how to secretly find her if he was in desperate need of help. Don't interfere. Her Archmages words entered her mind before casting a small spell to make the part of the letter disappear, signing her name.

Although she wished to see Jason, Lorelei knew that she would never go back. Jason had suffered enough. His safety was her priority right now.

With a deep breath, she wiped her tears away, entering the portal and closing it behind her, leaving a heartbroken Jason behind as he reads her letter. For once in Robin's life, he was truly broken. Truly alone.