49

Lena wasn't sure what hour it was when her parents got to the hospital, she just knew it was early, she could see the first rays of lights filter through the curtain in her room. Janet had been in her room a few times before her parents got here, they had talked and Janet had reassured Lena that Nicola was now stable but under sedatives in a room next door.

"We should have never left her alone" whispered Margaret, she was covering her face and sitting over a small sofa in the room, Lena looked at her and turned to look at her father, he was standing next to her bed.

"We could have never guessed this" Peter whispered, he turned to look at Lena "Why didn't you tell us about the photos?"

Lena looked at him and simply took a deep breath before she answered with full honesty "I was embarrassed"

Peter said nothing, he looked down at her feet and patted her knee, Margaret looked up and tried to suppress the tears from rolling down.

"How is Janet?" asked Margaret.

"She's with Alana and Jake" explained Peter, "Since the boys are under recuperation the doctors don't want people going in and out of their rooms, just yet"

"Is she ok?" asked Margaret.

"I don't think anyone is ok" explained Peter, he walked towards his wife, he knew Margaret meant well, but she was having trouble with her emotions, he sat down next to his wife and pulled her into a hug.

Margaret closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths, Peter looked at his daughter, he had never doubted of the fighter that lived in Lena, he had just wished she hadn't been forced to use that fight in her, under such horrible circumstances.

Lena looked at her father and smiled, the doctor had explained to Lena about the concussion she had suffered after her head had been banged against the window frame and then again after she hit the floor when Ryan and her had been fighting for the gun. The doctor, who had been Junior's father, had also explained about the tooth in her leg that they had extracted when she was still unconscious, the only good news he had delivered was about Lena being able to leave the hospital before noon of that waking day.

Lena knew that Thomas Stale Senior wasn't the kind of doctor to tend to those kinds of problems, but she was sure that he had pulled all the strings he had in the hospital, which Lena had to remind herself that he practically owned the building, to be the one dealing with Nicola's and Lena's treatment.

For professional reasons he hadn't been allowed to handle Junior's treatment nor Ryan's.

Lena looked away from her father and locked her eyes over the ceiling, she wanted to drift into a deep sleep but now that this horror was over, she had to face reality and since she was the only one of the three victims that was conscious, Janet had told her and Lena's parents that the police would want to speak to her first.

Lena turned her head to the door after a knock echoed through the room, Margaret, who had dozed off in her husband's arms, sat down straight as Peter stood up and walked towards the door, he pulled it open and was greeted by one of police officers that had visited his house and another man.

"Detective Monroe" whispered Peter "Come in"

Detective Monroe walked in the room followed by Officer Reed, Margaret stood up and shook hands with both men before they turned their attention to Lena. Lena looked at both her parents and then turned to the police officers, she knew Margaret had turned her lawyer mode on and that her father was now doing the parenting paper for both.

"Miss Severide" spoke Monroe "I'm Detective Monroe and this is Officer Reed"

"I know Officer Reed" whispered Lena, she offered Reed a gentle smile before she turned back to the detective.