xxii

LEAH;
The school bell rings as I sigh and pack up my stuff. The desk chairs were too stiff that my back was starting to ache again.

Last night, dad checked me again before I went to sleep and said that the soreness should go away in the next day or so.

I walk out of the classroom and into the bustling hallway. I head towards my locker and see a boy next to mine.

I stand beside him as he looks over at me and gives me a friendly smile. I smile in return, noticing that his mouth formed in a heart.

I put the notebooks I used in and took my next class materials out.

As I close my locker, a sticky note drops down and lands on the floor. I crouch down and grab it. As I did, I couldn't help but look at the boys shoes.

I gasp in awe, he was wearing a limited edition pair of Jordan's that I would've sold my soul for.

I regain my composure and stand back up, then look at him as he zips his backpack up.

"I really like your shoes," I say as he looks up in question then smiles.

"Thanks, I was lucky enough to even get them" He says.

I let out a short laugh, "I signed up for the draw but ended up short"

"You like Jordans?" He asked as I nod.

"My dad and uncle are sneaker heads, I just happened to be one as well" I answer as he laughs.

"What is your favorite pair?" He asks as my eyes light up.

"It's hard to just pick one, but..." I start as he smiles wide, "I would have to go with the Jordan Air Retro 4's"

"Nice," He compliments as I smile, "Those shoes are absolutely beautiful, I also own a pair"

After that, we both talk about our first pair of Jordans and our latest pair for the rest of the passing period.

"Yeah-"

"Hoseok,"

A familiar voice calls from beside us, I look and find Jungkook.

I also look at the boy in front of me in surprise. So this was Hoseok himself, the player who tore his ACL last year.

Hoseok freezes at his name being called then looks at Jungkook before gasping and running behind me, using me as a human shield.

"Jungkookie," Hoseok says in a scared tone.

Jungkook eyes widen, he looks at Hoseok accusingly, "Why are you hiding? Hey, get back over here!"

Hoseok peers over my shoulder, "But you're scary when you get mad"

Jungkook is shocked, "I'm not mad right now"

I smile and turn to look at the boy behind me, "So you're Hoseok, the toughest and fastest small forward on the basketball team"

Hoseok falters, "N-not anymore"

"But you still are," Jungkook speaks up and slowly walks closer to us, "To us you still are. We have a bunch of new rookies this year and they need guidance from a three time MVP for small forward"

The ex-player remains quite and Jungkook takes that as a sign to continue, "I'm not sure if you know this but Leah also practices with us, and she's... okay"

I roll my eyes and Hoseok cracks a small smile.

"I'm confident enough that with everyone's skills, we'll go to nationals. What do you say, will you join the team one last time?"