vii

LEAH;
I finished all of my homework from today and sighed. One of my classes was College Algebra and I really wanted to get out of it, it was too easy for my liking.

"I'll talk to the counselor," I told myself as I laid down on my bed.

Am I really going to try out for the boys basketball team?

I looked up at my ceiling to see my favorite Klay Thompson poster hanging up.

What?

I like starting my morning off seeing the man that I love and adore.

"Leah! Dinners ready!" Dad called out as I sighed and sat up. I walked out of my room and down the stairs.

I entered the kitchen to see my dad taking out plates and forks. I grabbed them from him and walked towards the dining room as he followed me with the food.

Whatever it was, it smelled delicious.

I set the table with the items I held and sat down. Dad placed the food down and took a seat as well.

He uncovered the pan and revealed chicken and rice. I smiled, he seemed to do a good job.

"So, how was your first day of school?" He asked and handed me a bowl of food that he dished out for me.

I groaned, "My day was going well... in the beginning. I saved a girl from getting a concussion and turned out to become friends with her. I was tripped while leaving class which resulted in me dropping my schedule then I was told that they don't even have the sport I love" I finished and stuffed rice into my mouth.

"They don't have a basketball team?" Dad asked before taking a sip of his water.

I sighed and remembered the rude sports director. Not only that but to find out that they only had one team which consisted of all male players.

"The only people playing on it have a boatload of testosterone running through their horny teenage bodies" I answered with a sigh.

Dad frowned, "Maybe you can start a girls team,"

I scoffed, "And what? Train a whole bunch of girls to eventually suck? No thank you... I have a better idea"

Dad stared at me, waiting for me to continue.

"Well isn't it obvious? I'm going to try out for the boys team" I said as he choked on his food.

"A-are you sure?" He asked while hitting his chest and trying to suppress his cough, "I know I told you to play ball for your last year but you can just play on a club team"

"No, I want to do this. And shouldn't you be pressing me on this, you wanted this. Besides..." I look down at my plate sheepishly, "I want to play another year of high school ball before I graduate" I admitted as dad frowned.

"Quit reminding me it's your last year" he said as I playfully pouted.

"I'm going to be eighteen soon as well" I teased just to egg him on.

"Yah!" He exclaimed and threw a carrot bit at my face. I dodged his throw and laughed.

"You're still my baby, now hush and eat" he said as I stuck my tongue out at him and continued eating.

———

The rest of the week dragged on and I could finally meet with the counselor. The only time the counselor Ms. Hyun-Joo was available was just before school ended so I hung out with Seon-Mi.

We both left class early due to the note and because I needed 'help' to find the office.

"I can show you around more, if you want," Seon-Mi spoke up as I smiled and nodded. I figured that this would be the only way that I'd actually get to know the school grounds better.

"Only if you don't mind," I responded as she shook her head and interlocked our arms.

"Not at all," she smiled as we started walking down the hallway.

As we walked she told me about the school activities that go on, the people and the latest tea. There was a lot of drama that went on here but I wasn't surprised.

We were outside as she told me about the best time to sit at the courts and eat or enjoy the weather.

It was already getting cold so she insisted on waiting till spring.

"And these are the courts," she said as we stopped at the basketball court that had six goals.

I looked and saw a group formed by the gates that surrounded it. I also heard a basketball bouncing and people talking to each other.

I couldn't help but get excited about what was happening.

Seom-Mi noticed, "Want to go watch?"

I looked at her and smiled while I vigorously nodded. She chuckled and we started walking towards the commotion.

The sounds of people playing my favorite sport were getting louder as my heart started to beat faster with anticipation.

We were closer to the gate as we saw a few boys playing. It seemed like it was just a scrimmage.

I really wanted to play, the thought of holding the ball and controlling the game was getting me excited.

I was basically staring at the ball as it made its way down the court.

"See anything you like?" Seon-Mi asked with a smirk on her face.

I rolled my eyes and noticed that the boys playing were the ones who 'owned' the school.

"Not really" I said as I looked back to the ball.

"I usually stay after... to watch Jimin" she whispered as a slight blush appeared on her cheeks.

"You like Jimin?" I asked as she shyly nodded.

I knew Jimin, he was in my economics class. I have him as my table partner. He was a sweet guy, I could see them together.

The time was counting down as I watched the person who dribbled the ball down the court, it was the one who tripped me.

He had a person playing defense on him as he stopped, he was going to shoot but opted for a head fake that his opponent fell for.

I rose my eyebrows, that must be his signature move.

As the defender came down, he shot the ball and it went in with everyone cheering around him.

Not bad, I thought as I watched the rest of his team run up to him and engulf him in a group hug.

He must've noticed me because he stopped cheering with his team and stared... right at me.

"Your appointment is in a few minutes, so we should get going" Seon-Mi said breaking me away from the intense staring match with him.

I smiled and nodded as we turned around and left the courts.

What's his problem?

Seon-Mi walked me to the front office and left me on my own. I was grateful to have a friend like her.

"Kim Leah," The counselor called out. I smiled and followed her into her office.

Her office was really tidy and clean. It also had this vibe where you won't be judged.

"Hello Leah, my name is Ms. Hyun-Joo,  and I'm your assigned counselor. What did you want to talk about today?" She asked.

"Oh I came in to change one of my classes. I found my math class too easy and I wanted something more... challenging" I finished as she smiled.

She typed on her computer and changed my class.

"Calculus?" She asked as I nodded, "Alright starting Monday your last hour will be different than College Algebra"

I smiled, "Thank you so much"

"You're very welcome, do you have any other questions or concerns?" She asked.

I thought about her question, maybe I could take advantage of it

"There's another thing..."