xii

LEAH;
I opened the gym door and walked in. There were already a few boys there that were messing around.

I walked towards an open spot near the floor on the bleachers and set my stuff down. I opened my practice bag and took out my basketball shoes.

My uncle/best friend always said that Kyries were the best and I wholeheartedly agreed with him. It was either Kyries, Kobes, Durants, Jordan's, Paul George's or Hardens.

'Never LeBrons' he would grit through his teeth and I would laugh every time he ranted about him. We both hated LeBron James with the same burning passion.

I pulled on my uncle Drew's, that I absolutely love, and tied them. I missed this feeling, I was nervous yet excited.

I stood up and fixed my shorts. I tied the strings so they wouldn't slip and cracked my back.

I gripped the bottoms of my shoes and looked around to see a few boys staring at me.

"Is she trying out?"

"What's a girl doing in the gym?"

"Who is that?"

I ignored their obvious whispering about me and focused on the footsteps coming closer to me. I looked to see Bang and Sejin.

"Ah, Leah, you came" Coach Bang spoke with a smile on his and Sejin's face.

I smiled, "Of course Coach. Nothing is going to stop me from playing ball, not even a few boys"

"Love the dedication, now go get a ball and warm up. Preseason starts today" he said and playfully hit me on the shoulder with his clipboard.

I smiled and nodded before walking away. I looked up to see the scoreboard that had ten minutes left before practice actually started.

I heard one of the boys on the court wolf-whistle. "Hey guys, look at this cupcake"

I looked and it was one of those popular boys that Seon-Mi told me about. I ignored his catcall and continued on.

"Kaito, keep your mouth shut and catch those rebounds!" Coach yelled at him as I smirked.

I picked up a basketball from the ball holder and bounced it. Both Bang and Sejin were watching me carefully.

I dribbled the ball beside me as I made my way onto the middle of the court. I felt their eyes on me as I crossed the ball behind my back.

I got to the middle of the court and faced the net. I saw the boy named 'Kaito' catching rebounds and throwing them back to his teammates. I smirked before gripping my shoes again and stepped back a bit.

I lifted the ball in my hands and clutched it to my chest before taking a few steps then jumped and snapped my wrist in one fluid motion.

It went silent as Bang, Sejin and I watched the ball travel forty-seven feet long until it went into the hoop, making my signature 'swish' sound.

Once it went through it hit Kaito on the top of his head before bouncing off. He put his hand on his head and looked up to see me, the one who shot it.

The other boys surrounding him laughed,

"Cupcake, huh?" One of them burst out chuckling.

"Can I have my ball back?" I asked with a smirk on my lips.

I was passed my ball from another teammate and walked off to an empty basket. I made ten free throws in a row before doing anything else.

My uncle taught me that, it was how I got better at my free throws.

I could feel their eyes and hear their whispers about me. I didn't give them a reaction, I just kept to myself as I continued.

As I made my last floater, the buzzer on the scoreboard went off. I turned to see all the boys putting their balls away and got in line on the baseline.

I followed and joined them, taking an empty spot at the end.

"Hey, new girl" I heard from beside me, from the voice, I immediately noticed it was Kaito. I ignored him and stretched my arms, "These tryouts are for guys only"

"Hey, I'm talking to you!"

"What's the matter Kaito?" Another person questioned the clueless boy, "Afraid a girl's going to take your spot?"

I smiled to myself that a teammate of his actually stood up for me.

Before everything started we all stretched. As we went through warm ups, I couldn't help but notice the handful of guys that were practicing today.

It made me nervous.

Could I make it?

I also noticed a few boys from my classes were here, two being Taehyung and Jimin.

I caught their gazes as they smiled and waved, I smiled back until they were both whacked behind the head by Jungkook.

Oh yeah, I forgot that he plays ball.

"Done?" Coach asked as Jungkook nodded.

Oh?

I guess he's the team captain as well.

"Alright kids, lets get started" Coach announced with an amusing grin.

———

Coach Bang gave us our last break as I walked over to my bag and grabbed my water bottle.

I drank a few gulps before putting it back and walked onto the court to shoot around more. I grabbed a basketball and walked to a hoop.

I stood on the three point line and set my feet, once I felt comfortable I shot the ball and followed through.

One of the guys came up and passed me the ball. I thanked him as he smiled. I continued to shoot as he caught and passed me the ball every time.

"Leah, what position did you play at your old school?" He asked as the others surrounding us joined in.

"Point guard and shooting guard" I answered as their eyes went wide.

"Both positions?" They asked in unison as I nodded, was that not what they did here?

"Who's point guard?" Someone asked as they all looked at each other before Jungkook, Kaito and another person raised their hands.

"Looks like you have some competition Kaito, you know coach only allows three point guards on the team" Another player taunted.

"Fuck off, Soobin" Kaito sneered and walked off to the baseline.

"Who's shooting guard?"

Taehyung and another player raised their hands. I was shocked, he was probably a good shooter.

"Alright let's get going again" Coach Bang said and blew his whistle. I put the ball back and got on the base line with the rest of them.

I knew what was coming.

I smiled and gripped the bottoms of my shoes. The others looked at me in confusion until coach said the words.

"Suicide time,"