xiv

LEAH;
"How was it hun?" Dad asked with a big smile as soon as I sat down in the passenger seat of his car.

"Amazing," I breathed out with a smile as I set my school and practice bag down beside my feet.

Boys basketball was a little more challenging than girls' but I knew I could do it.

Dad lets out a pleased hum and shifts the car in drive, "I'm glad you had a good time"

I yawned and agreed by nodding. It's been so long since I've worked out with guys that I was beyond tired.

Even when all we did today was mainly court agility stuff. Like footwork fundamentals, ladder drills, and footwork drills.

I knew that because I was a five foot three girl, I had to keep up with them. And I figured I did a good job today.

I pressed my head on the window, I just wanted to shower and sleep but I was hungry as well. I didn't have homework so I wasn't worried.

Awhile into the car ride I thought back to the events that happened. A couple of boys were rude, but they were the only the ones that hung around Kaito.

Other than that it was fine. I actually had fun with the drills. I loved learning new ones.

Then my eyes widen when I realized what actually happened.

Coach Bang was taking it easy on me.

A certain memory triggered that assumption.

~~~
"We're going to work on agility and strength for this defense and offense exercise. I want you all to partner up and grab two balls" Coach Bang announced.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Taehyung perk up and look my way. I smile and look at him.

He signaled with his hand asking if he wanted to pair up. I nodded as he smiled even wider and grabbed two balls from the rack before making his way over to me.

"Hello Ms. Kim" Taehyung said with a goofy smile on his face as he held the balls on his sides.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes and smile as well.

"Hello Mr. Kim" I say. He was going to speak again until coach interrupted him.

"Hey Leah" Coach Bang called out as I turned and looked at him.

He had a younger looking player walking beside him, holding two balls. The boy was scrawny and short, maybe a year or two younger than me.

"You can team up with Ty here" Bang smiled as he pushed the boy closer to me.

Ty's face was red with embarrassment, he stared at the ground like he was scared to look at me.

"Um..." I trailed off to look at Taehyung.

He seemed to know what was happening because he already had Jungkook as his partner. I frowned but nodded at Coach.

I sighed and walked over to the baseline with Ty following behind me.

He seemed nervous. I took in his appearance and noticed his thick framed glasses and his blue Stephen Curry basketball shirt.

I smiled, what a fanboy.

Once everyone was situated Coach walked over to us.

"We're going to be working on man, you start on this baseline and end on that baseline" Coach spoke as he pointed behind him.

What is man?

Coach Bang seemed to notice my confusion as he called up Jungkook and Taehyung to give us a demonstration.

Jungkook stood behind the baseline as Taehyung stood in front of him. Jungkook held the basketballs by his side and Tae put his hands on Jungkook's shoulders.

Coach blew his whistle and Jungkook started bouncing the balls on his sides while trying to make his way down the court with Taehyung pushing his shoulders.

Jungkook was effortlessly moving while Tae was pushing to keep him back. I rose my eyebrows, impressive.

I mainly took Taehyung as a runner and a court smart guy rather than all muscle.

When coach noticed that we got this exercise he blew the whistle and the two boys stopped.

We all clapped as they went back to the baseline. I saw Taehyung, he almost seemed embarrassed.

I smiled at him and gave him two thumbs up for effort. You don't have to be strong to play ball, you just have to be smart.

"Alright, lets go" Coach announced. Ty handed me the balls as if you say, 'Ladies first'

I smirked and held the balls to my sides, Ty stood in front of me and contemplated on putting his hands on me.

When the whistle was blown I bounced the balls at my sides and went down the court with Ty trying to keep me back.

I passed everyone as Ty and I finished first. I passed him the two basketballs as we both waited for everyone to be done.

Bang and Sejin were both talking and looking at me but I chose to ignore them and cheer on Taehyung.
~~~

I groaned in my seat as dad looked at me,

"What's wrong hun?" He asks taking in my distressed state.

"I just now realized that Coach was taking it easy on me today" I say and rub my eyes in frustration.

Dad chuckles... chuckles!

"Of course he did" he speaks as I look at him with my mouth hung open. I figured my dad would be mad as well but I knew he took this as a life lesson or a challenge for me.

Which meant: he was all for it.

"But that's not what I want. I want to be treated like one of the guys. I don't care if I'm a girl. I want to be treated like a basketball player" I end my statement by crossing my arms over my chest and pout.

"Aw babygirl," my dad pouts in a playful matter as I groan and slump further into my seat.

"It's not fair," I add, my bottom lips starts to tremble but I told myself I wasn't going to cry.

"Well," Dad starts as we pull into the house driveway, "I see this as a life lesson"

Called it, I thought.

He turns off the car and faces me, I look up at him with my sad eyes. The ones I knew that made him take it easier on me when something hard like this happened.

"You know how they say, 'If you want something go get it'?" He asks as I nod, "I see that and your situation as the same. If you want your coach to change his view on you then you have to tell him"

I look away from dad and out of my window before letting out a soft sigh,

"Okay"