xvi

LEAH;
The time came for the second day of practice and I was more ready than ever. Throughout the whole day the boys who tried out the day before kept staring at me like I was an alien and kept asking me the same questions.

'You play ball?!'

'How many points do you put up in a game?'

'Who is your favorite player?'

'Do girls even play basketball?'

I answered the best to my ability and even tried to sound humble, but that last question made me mad.

I knew more than a team of girls who were better players than most boys.

I zipped open my bag after placing it on the floor and got my clothes out. Today I decided on wearing a short sleeve because yesterday the gym got really hot.

I don't get hot easily, but it was mostly because of the boys. I was also too lazy to look for one.

I pulled my Nike shirt on and then my short cuts. Almost all of the clothes I own are Nike.

I put on my elite socks and unlocked the stall before walking towards the mirror and sink. I brushed my hair out and tied it into a ponytail.

I looked at my reflection and tried to build up my confidence more.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

With one final look at my reflection I grab my bags and exit the restroom. I make my way down the hallway and walk towards the gym.

I walk in and see some of the guys from yesterday shooting around or just talking.

I set my stuff down on the bleachers and sit down. I open my bag and take out my uncle Drew's, I'll usually swipe them out throughout the season but right now these are my go to.

I slip off my vans and replace them with my basketball shoes.

Once I'm done I stand up and wipe my sweaty hands on my shortcuts, a nervous habit of mine.

I then look for Coach Bang. My eyes settle on him, he's talking to the assistant coach, Sejin.

I close my eyes, inhale deeply, hold it for five seconds then let it out for a final five.

"It's now or never" I mutter and start to make my way towards the head coach. He stops talking to Sejin and smiles once he sees me.

"Back for more, huh?" He asks as I chuckle and nod.

"Of course coach" I respond.

"I was just telling Sejin about the day I met you, last week. I told him that you gave me one of the firmest handshakes I have ever received" he smiled as I shake my head.

Everyone says that.

"Practice starts in five minutes, you should shoot around to get your arm ready" he says with a kind smile and turns to continue talking to Sejin until I interrupt him.

"Actually, can I talk to you?" I ask. He notices the pleading look I can't help but give him as he immediately nods.

"I'll go do my rounds" Sejin says as he smiles at me before leaving.

"Let's take this outside," Bang walks ahead of me as we exit the gym.

"What's wrong?" He asks then gets tense, most likely thinking the inevitable. "Are the boys getting to you, because I can talk to them"

Yes.

"No" I lie, they are getting to me but they only fuel the fire in me... and I need that.