18: Scent

A/N: Hello all!!! Hope you're all doing well and are safe!! I've decided to dedicate this chapter to 'Ave Maria' composed by David Nadien and Boris Barere. This specific rendition to this song is honestly really beautiful. I feel the calming, serene tone to this song fits this chapter very well. It gives the tone a very at ease kind of feel. You're welcome to listen to it while reading. I've placed a link to the song above if you do choose to listen to it. I wanted everyone to be aware once again that I've made a playlist of this fanfiction on my Spotify. It's under the name: (Cloudy Skies) and you can search for it under the Spotify username: kayla9658 or the display name: Kayla P. If you can't find anything, feel free to DM me or comment and I will send you a link that takes you directly to my Spotify. I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Thanks again and be safe!!! <3333333

"So that's what you came here for?" Nishiki spoke after Kaneki was finished explaining his plans. You stood off to the side, taking heed of what was discussed.
"We're hoping this will work." Kaneki sounded nervous, unsure of his own abilities. You looked over at him with a questioning expression.
"I can't imagine why it wouldn't." Nishiki answered confidently, shrugging his shoulders as he leaned further against his chair in the living area of his and Kimi's apartment.
"I'm just supposed to assume that I'll be trusted by all the Ghouls that hate me so much? What about the humans?" You proclaimed impatiently.
"Many of the Ghouls who treated you unfairly were only doing it to serve Eto and myself. If any of them have any rebuttal they won't have a choice but to listen. Discussing everything with the humans will take some time, but we're not focused on that right now." Kaneki reassured, but did a poor job at doing so. You shifted where you stood, crossing your arms as you gave Kaneki a distrusting look. He lifted his head, acknowledging the wariness you held against him. Nishiki sighed.
"You clearly want peace just like the rest of us do. Eto was too full of herself, if I'm being honest. She did things so horribly wrong that some of it even set us way back from the goal we wanted." Nishiki shared, rolling his eyes. He groaned with realization before proceeding.
"Eto meant well, but I believe a lot of that power and the hatred she held for her father got the better of her. Her putting the two of you in charge is the best decision she's ever made thus far. I'm confident that you and Kaneki will be able to come up with a plan that will work in benefit for everyone." Nishiki continued. Your mouth was slightly agape before you closed it to peer over at Kaneki. He was already looking at you, his visage read an utmost confidence in you. You looked away, mulling over a specific detail that Nishiki mentioned.
"Eto's father is Yoshimura, right? The old manager of Anteiku?" You questioned, wanting to be sure that your facts were correct.
"Yeah, how did you know?" Kaneki asked, furrowing his brows with curiosity. You shrugged.
"I have a friend that works in the CCG. He left some paperwork in the open when we were hanging out, so I snooped. I didn't figure out much, but I know that the CCG is aware of her real identity." You described the situation. Kaneki nodded, looking as if he were in deep thought.
"Hanging out, huh?" Nishiki joked, raising his eyebrows with interest while he smirked. You lifted the side of your top lip with disgust over the assumption that he made.
"Yes, hanging out. He and I are very close." You added as further explanation while you sneered. Nishiki's mannerisms were getting on your nerves, but you felt it was far better than him trying to kill you. Kimi nudged Nishiki harshly. He looked down at her as she squinted at him to redirect his words. She didn't need to say a word to him for Nishiki to know that she wanted him to apologize.
"I'm just pushing your buttons. I'm not the Nishiki you know unless I do that, right?" Nishiki spoke almost crudely. You tittered, nodding at him.
"The Nishiki I knew would've tried to gut me." You admitted, not holding back once again. He made a sarcastic seething noise while Kimi glared at him some more.
"Ouch, you wound me. I am sorry about all of that, though. It won't happen again." Nishiki was regretful, even seeming sincere. You shook your head. Though you despised what Nishiki went along with, you knew that he was only acting on Kaneki's behalf.
"It's nothing." Your voice was smooth and forgiving. Nishiki picked his head up at you, nodding. Kaneki was deathly aware of your willingness to pardon Nishiki for the things he had done. As brief as they were, it was no different than what Kaneki was ordered to do. You could see that Kaneki was slightly agitated. You wanted to yell at him, clearly sensing what had upset him.
"Was that all, Kaneki?" Nishiki asked, snapping Kaneki out of his thoughts. He darted his head over at him.
"Yes, that was pretty much all I had to discuss." Kaneki uttered, lightly embarrassed for getting so distracted by such simple words coming from you.
"I'll try to stop by Anteiku tomorrow with some people I think would be willing to assist with all of this." Nishiki informed, ready to help in any way that he could.
"Thank you, the more we get, the easier this will all unfold." Kaneki informed. You maneuvered to leave when everyone was ready to see you and Kaneki out of the apartment.
"Once again, we're sorry for intruding on you both." You apologized the same as just a few hours prior.
"Like I said, it's fine." Nishiki assured once more. Kimi smiled at you.
"It was lovely meeting you, Y/N." Kimi expressed. You smiled back at her in return.
"Likewise." You replied, grateful to meet yet another wonderfully kind human. You and Kaneki headed out of the apartment, waving goodbye at Kimi and Nishiki after putting your shoes back on. Before Nishiki shut the door, he gave Tsukiyama a rather terrifying scowl. You laughed, covering your mouth a little as you peered at Tsukiyama to see an unsatisfactory visage. Nishiki closed the door, leaving you, Kaneki and Tsukiyama to head back over to Anteiku.