9: Changes

A/N: Hello everyone! I've had this fanfic published for a while now but I'm just fixing some errors and touching up the plot a bit before I proceed with the rest of the story. The last time I looked over these chapters was in September of 2021. Doesn't really seem like that long ago, but it does for me. I hope you all like the story so far. If you have any questions, concerns, or confusions about the story, or the terms I use for Ghoul details/lore, feel free to leave a comment asking me, or DM me. Whichever one you feel more comfortable doing, I'll get to you as fast as I can. I'll start with this chapter in dedicating a song; which is: 'Yung and Writhing' by Rew. Enjoy reading and stay safe everyone!!! <3333333

*TWO BRIEF DISCUSSIONS ABOUT GHOUL CANNIBALISM*

You inched closer in the direction of where you smelled the stranger. They were too far away to differ whether they were a human or a Ghoul. Someone dressed in all black darted toward you at an above-average pace. It was a speed that would likely par with Yamori. It was deathly obvious that it was a Ghoul at that point. However, the assailant was unsuccessful in their attack. You dodged them, aware of their intentions. They regained balance and faced you again, showing that they were only after you specifically. Is this a set up? You thought to yourself, assuming that Kaneki was behind the entire thing. You refused to release your kagune unless it was absolutely necessary. You didn't find it useful if you were capable of fending off enemies without it. You weren't sure if the attacker was a detective from the CCG with an implanted kakuhou, or if they were part of Kaneki's group. The intensity of trying to keep up made it difficult to focus on the scent while they were wearing such a thick coat. The stranger's attacks became more brutal, far more quickened in pace as well. They also refused to release their own kagune, making it difficult to decipher what made them so fast. You assumed they were an Ukake-type. They're definitely not part of the CCG. You thought, scissor kicking the stranger off balance and causing them to fall to the ground before they could strike at you.
Kaneki had attempted to help alongside you, but he could see you had everything taken care of. Your power and strength were nothing to be taken lightly, and not everyone was aware of it, but soon enough, it had to be known. Out of all the fear you held inside you, that was the one that acted like a poison within your soul. The fact that even you yourself were unaware of the power you withheld deep inside you. It was unnervingly terrifying. The stranger got up again, evidently releasing their kagune. It looked like a pair of wings made of fire. It had occurred to you how familiar the kagune seemed. They're definitely a pure blood. You thought to yourself, assuming you weren't dealing with a hybrid Ghoul. This should be fun. You thought once again, smirking at the idea. You released your long and wide, thorn infused kagune before the Ghoul. Your purple and deep red colors sparking throughout your body, along with the kagune. You were a Bikaku-type half-Ghoul. Kaneki suddenly stood in the middle, trying to stop you and the stranger. The stranger relaxed their body, retracting their kagune. You retracted yours as well, as yours and your opponent's kakugan's dispelled to their normal colors once again. You glared at Kaneki, practically making it easier to confirm your suspicions towards him.
"What are you doing?" You questioned, growing impatient.
"That's enough, Ayato." Kaneki looked over at the attacker, sounding annoyed. So he does know them. You thought, huffing to yourself.
"You're a buzzkill." Ayato stated in a stoic manner, walking toward you and Kaneki. You took a wary stance, readying yourself if you needed to fight back again. You gave Ayato a look of disdain. He removed his hood, revealing himself to you. His medium length blue hair getting caught up in the wind definitely reminded you of someone. You just couldn't put your finger on it.
"Sorry, I just had to see what she was capable of. You're just as good as they say you are." Ayato mentioned, reaching his hand out to you. You tilted your head to the side in question, yet, you grabbed his hand firmly to shake it. The aura you received from Ayato wasn't harmful or cascaded in ulterior motives. You decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Kaneki seemed to question your ability to trust Ayato so easily.
"You're not too bad yourself. You had me going there for a second." You let out a short chuckle, amused by Ayato's personality. Kaneki walked up to the both of you and hugged Ayato suddenly. It almost seemed as if they were brothers. Yet, you knew that wasn't possible.
"You did good man." Kaneki complimented, patting Ayato firmly on the back.
"I had a feeling that you were behind this." You revealed, rolling your eyes suddenly. Kaneki cleared his throat.
"Was it that obvious?" Kaneki asked, acting sly. You stared at him with half-lidded eyes.
"Duh." You confirmed, crossing your arms against your chest in a challenging stance.
"I'm not surprised you figured it out. But, I wasn't going let it get that far for either of you. Ayato just likes meeting other Ghouls in this way." Kaneki explained. You let go of your anger, knowing it's silly to be mad over it.
"Seems interesting enough, I suppose." You stated in an agreeing tone of voice. Ayato seemed to enjoy the presence you had to offer. Kaneki and Ayato walked further on towards a building across the street. You didn't even notice that you were all directly down the street from Anteiku. You had recalled only coming to the mysterious coffee shop two times during your time under Yamori. You entered with Kaneki and Ayato, eager to have a cup of delicious coffee. As soon as you headed inside, your eyes made their way towards the direction of Nishiki. You gave him a grimace, completely avoiding acknowledgement of everyone else that was present in the room. Nishiki tittered, looking down briefly with closed eyes. He stepped forward in your direction.
"I'm sorry about our quarrels. If I'm being honest, I know that Kaneki would kill me if I ever hurt you. Besides, you're not that bad, I guess." Nishiki mentioned, seemingly apologetic. You rolled your eyes and shook your head slightly. You were still very much on edge over the entire ordeal happening before your very eyes. Though, you tried to remain as collected as possible.
"I was a bit of a pain in the ass." You stated, lying slightly. You knew that you weren't easy to get along with in the slightest, yet, you also knew that you had good reason to behave the way you had been with everyone.
"More than just a bit." Kaneki mentioned in a soft, joking tone. You glanced over at him, visibly annoyed. He chuckled quietly, placing his hands up in surrender.
"Sorry, sorry, don't mind me." Kaneki replied to the warning look on your face. You admitted that Kaneki seemed to be fairly acquainted with the ways of manipulating people into trusting him, though, you knew it wouldn't work if he were truly trying to harm you in any way.