Chapter 26

Jim's point of view: in Afghanistan at base

I sat quietly in a lawn char enjoying the warm bud light the best a man can when he was worried. My mind was always wondering back to Eliza. The way she acted was as if I had told her Brandon died. My heart had pretty much been ripped out of my heart by her pain. Point was Eliza is my everything. Always has been and always will be. it had been a week since I've seen or heard from her making things so much worst.

"Luitent some boys need to take some ammo down to south base. You up for the drive?" Brandon looked  down at my beer. I nodded my head setting aside the nasty warm beer that left a bad taste on my taste buds. But I mean come on where in the world are you gonna find a cold beer in this desert of hell.

"Want me to come with ya?" Brandon asked as he fell into step with me. I shook my head no picking up my pace making my way over to a few guys in my unit standing near one of our military trucks.

"Morning sir" the driver said as all of them saluted me. I saluted them back .

"Lets get the show on the road boys" I slapped the truck's hood before I slid into the passenger seat while the other boys got in the back with the ammo.

The drive was quite but sent all of our nerves on edge. I.E.Ds were always on our minds when we were driving. The fact that we would never know were they where in till we hit them was just a scary thought that crept into a soldier's mind. We drove down the dusty road into a canyon you thing. With two desert walls of sand on each side of us. My stomach started to twist into un easy knots the farther we went down the path. Something just wasn't right.

"I don't...." The driver was cut off when the truck was flung up into the air.

With aloud explosion our truck was sent up in the air spinning upside down. I flew through the side window were I landed on the desert ground. My body became numb and my hearing disappeared as I watched our ammo truck slam down on the ground and blew up into a ball of fire. It was  as if watching a movie as I watched in horror as common sense told me that all the guys that rode with me in the truck were dead. As the thought played in my mind my vision started to fill up with black spots. No I have to get home I screamed in my mind. Failing at staying awake blackness took over my vision just as peacefulness fell over my body.

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

My vision slowly started to come back in white. As my eyes slowly opened  I saw white everywhere. For a moment I thought I had gone to heaven and died but then I heard an ill full scream of pain come from a gentleman down the hall. Looking around I saw men laying next to me moaning in pain as nurses and doctors ran around. I wasn't in heaven I was in the infirmary. I tried to move my arm behind me to sit up straight but failed miserably.

Looking down at the now moved sheets I saw my left leg was replace with a nub above my knee. My voice caught in my throat as I starred down at my once there leg. Its gone! Gone as in never getting that damn thing back gone!!!! My mind went crazy as I thought of how I was suppose to work or do anything now. Just then I went to move my right arm to touch the nub. Then my arm didn't move. Looking out of the corner of my eye I saw another freshly sowed up nub starred back at me. I lost both an arm and a leg!!!!

"Oh good your awake" a man with black hair and a white lab coat came up to me smiling. How the hell is he smiling? Can't he see I'm terrified?

" Where's my body?" I pretty much yelled.  The man's smile disappeared as he let out a sigh. He laid a hand on my left arm which thankfully was still on me. I jerked my arm away from him.

"I'm gonna repeat myself one more time....Where and what did you do to my leg and arm" I growled out.

"Sir your ammo truck ran over an I.E.D. You where sent twenty feet up in the air roughly. Lucky for you the exposition had sent you at the open passenger side window. Your alive sir. You should be happy because your alive not upset because you lost something" The doctor tried to make me feel better but all I could think of was Eliza.

How was I suppose to hold her with just one arm? How was I suppose to expect her to love me like this? I wasn't me. I wasn't the man she fell in love with, let alone the man that left her. She can't love me now. There's no way in hell. I looked up to ask the doc if he could send someone a message but he was already gone. Then a thought that I didn't even think about came to mind. Where was Brandon? Just as the question crossed my mind I saw the black haired medium sized man start to make his way over to me.

"Oh thank God your alive" Brandon's eyes widden as he spotted that I'm missing an arm and leg. He pointed as he opened up his mouth but then shut it again when nothing came out. Both of us just starred at each other waiting for the other one to speak. Suddenly the white bed sheets became very interesting.

"They said your arm and leg were broken in so many places and brunt so bad they truly thought if they left it, it would just rot away" Brandon spoke so softly I could barely hear him. I just nodded my head. I was pissed nobody asked me for my permission but then again I was in such a bad state that they probably wouldn't care what I said.

"You were out for four days Jim. A lot of us thought you weren't gonna pull though" Brandon starred down at the floor as he spoke. He didn't want to look into my questioning eyes. Which I couldn't really blame him. I probably looked like shit as the medication started to wear off and the pain started to flood through my vains.

"You didn't tell Eliza yet did you?" I asked bring my eyes up to see Brandon starring back at me. He shook his head no letting me let out a sigh of relief.

"Brandon don't tell her ok? I don't want her here let alone worrying about me" I said glancing out the window.

"Jim...You can't run away from her" Brandon said as if he could read my thoughts. My eyes starred back at him.

"Brandon I got to leave. I'll save her the heart ach and me the heart ach of seeing me. She deserves better then an one arm one legged guy. She needs someone who can truly hold her. Not this jacked up person" I motioned to myself.

I knew not only would Eliza hate me after leaving her for the second time but Brandon would be pissed this time too. This was his family I was messing with but I needed to stay away from her. But to my relief Brandon nodded his head leaving with out another word. I laid back down resting my head on the plush white pillow. Sleep took over my body as soon as my eyes closed.

Ok ok I know what your thinking....I'm a bad person. I'm sorry if I'm making some of you mad. *cough*my friend Emily. But hey I didn't have him die. I promos  the story line gets better an  I promise that there's a beautiful lesson in this mess. Hang in there friends. The journey has just begun.