chapter 3

I pulled my apron on as I started to walk to the dinner. Colver's dinner was in a shape of an old barn. It had the old wooden sliding doors but those were mostly for deco. And the whole dinner was painted bright red that you could see a mile away. The dinner had already been open for an hour by the time I got there. I walk in to only find a few tables full of people in them.

"Morning Rose" I called to the owner/waitress.

"Morning Eliza." She greeted me with a big old hug.

I start off working. Soon half an hour went by. Then an hour. Then the little bell tied to the door went off saying a customer was coming in or was leaving. I looked from cleaning off a table to spot Newt walking on in. He spotted me and tipped his hat. I felt embarrassed that he had seen me watching. My eyes followed him to were he took a seat on at a bar stool up by the counter I decide to go ask for his order.

"What can I get you Newt?" I asked.

"How about a Saturday with you. We'll go riding" He offered with a raise of his eyebrow.

"Well I'll think about it" I hesitated.

Last time I was ever on a date was when I was 18. Exactly a year and a half ago. Dates scared me to be honest. But Newt reminded me a lot about the last boy I went out with. A boy I had fallen in love with. Hmmm I thought. Mr John walked in time just to save me. He went to his normal spot in the corner both for two. I smiled at Newt.

"I'll be back. Customer" I whispered as I started to walk off.

"Can you give me an answer by the end of the day?" he asked

"Yeah I just need time to think" I replied.

It was the truth. I always need time to think. I reached Mr John with him looking bright eyed an  bushy tailed as ever. I sighed when I reached him and his mouth was already opened.

"He asked you out already didn't he?" he asked clearly interested.

"Yes he did. Now what do you want?" I asked trying to change the subject for my insanity.

"The usual please. Eliza..." He called as I stared to walk away when I had his order.

But I was a little to slow. He had grabbed my arm. I turned around and looked at him.

" He reminds you a lot about Jim Cratter doesn't he?" I couldn't believe those words came out of his mouth.

I looked over at Newt. It was true Newt and Jim could be brothers for all I knew. To find a differences between them was kind of hard though. Newt had staw color hair and bright shy blue eyes. Un like Jim. Jim had chocolate brown hair and a pair of dark blue eyes almost Navy blue. But both men where well built in their bodies and both men seemed sweet in their own little way. Plus one of the many between the two was the  similarity of their hair which was that they both cut it military style.

"Look wise yeah. Personality I don't known" I said almost pleading in my voice for John to quite bring up Jim.

"Yeah do you remember the day Jim came to this town?"

"Of course I do. I was in love with that boy" I replied almost angry he thought I wouldn't remember.

I started to wash off a table when a strange man walked though the dinners' s door. He was tall and handsome. I don't know why but he stopped over at where I was washing the table and asked:
"What's your name pretty?"

I looked up in complete shock that that's what he had to ask. He looked amazing in the worn out blue jeans and a nice tight faded American flag shirt.

"Eliza"  I replied.

A smile crossed both our faces. And from that day on my life was changed for good. That Jim had my little heart rapped around his finger and he didn't even know it at the time. He didn't even know that the day he left was the day I promised myself I would only love him and no one else.

"Eliza" A snap of the fingers were in my face.

"Sorry" I appoligized to Mr John.

"Thinking about that day" he asks with more sympathy in his voice then eagerness.

I just nodded my head. But then I flashed back to the day Jim told me he was in the military.

It was a cool spring evening. Jim had drove me out to a small lake call Dummans lake. We walked on the lakes edge looking for skipping stones. Jim found a perfectly flat one. He went to skip it in the water. Four skipps. The best I've ever seen.

"Dang boy. Talk about showing off" I said.

Jim just stood up. He was over in front of me in just a few strides. He wrapped his strong arms around my waist pulling me into his rock solid chest.

"You know I only show off  to keep you interested. One day when I don't your just gonna walk on out of my life" He grinned with pleasure at his answer.

"I'm sure you ell be the one to walk out on this relationship" I corrected him.

"Well if I don't die first" His arms releasing me at a time I really needed his arms.

And that started it. He told me that he has a month be for he would be deployed over seas. I cried myself every night from that day on in till just a few days ago. And as I watched him pull out of my drive heading to the airport, I cried in till I ran out of tears. For I was sure he would ever pull in my dive again.

Another snap of the fingers in my face. I shock my head. I had to stop day dreaming. Jim was dead. Dead I tell you. He was reported dead in action. I needed to stop day dreaming about him.

"I'm sorry Eliza. I know better than to bring him up. I know the promise you made to yourself. And I just always seem to open up old wounds." Mr John said with worry about my feelings in his voice.

I just shock my head at him.

"No need for an apology. But I'm I crazy or do you see some dark chocolate brown hair roots on Newt's head?" I asked.

Now that I think about it Newt had dark hair roots. I was really now curious if he died his hair. If so that's a little strange. I walked up to the counter. Newt caught me looking again. This time his eyes seemed to be darker too. I bit back my crazy questions that zoomed though my head. Grrrrrrrrr.... I thought.

"I got to get going. But Eliza do you have an answer for me?" He voice held hope.

I looked at him. His voice sounded similarly to a voice from the past.

"I'd love to Newt."

"Pick you up around 6?" he asked.

"That works"  I responded realizing today was Saturday.

"Good see you then" excitement running though his voice.

I watched those old worn out jeans walk out of the dinner. Then  a crazy idea came mind. What if Jim was alive and Jim was Newt!!?! But I quickly brushed that idea out of my head. The government would not pronounce a live person dead in action. Would they?

Weird yet? Yeah sorry had a dream of this and thought it would throw you guys for a lop. Hope your enjoying the story so far. Wrote this chapter at 5 a clock in the Morning. Hehe I'm tired.