Chapter 1

I sit in a hammock, watching Pope as he chops the bark off the tree. He leaves a big bare space, revealing the light wood. JJ holds a blowtorch to a bent, flat head screwdriver. The sizzle of the burning wood fills the air as JJ makes the memorial for my brother.

He then walks over to me, grabbing my hands. He lifts me out of the hammock and walks me back over to the tree. The four of us stare at it, hearts broken.

JJ lifts the flask that was in his pocket previously into the air. "To John B." He says sadly.

"And to Sarah." Kiara adds weakly.

JJ and Pope lift their drinks in the air before taking a swig out of them. JJ hands the flask down to me. I take it, taking a long drink of the contents inside. I wrap an arm around his waist, pulling him against me. He grabs the side of my head gently, pulling me toward him. He presses a soft kiss to my temple.

Kie takes the stuff she had collected from each of our friends and places in the shallow hole Pope had dug. I grab the flowers I had collected early and lay them on top of the box. I stand back up, tears burning in my eyes, as the Pogues bury the items. I blink away my tears harshly as I head back toward the house. I was so sick of crying.

JJ stands when he realizes I had started to walk away. He jogs after me, grabbing my hand.

"You okay?" He asks me. I knew he was worried I would slip back into my depression spell.

"I'm okay, baby." I tell him. I reach up to cup his cheek. "How are you?"

"Uh, I'm fine. I'm alright."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm as okay as it gets right now, you know?"

I nod at the boy, leaning up to press a soft kiss to his lips. "I love you."

"I love you too."

***

A couple days later I got a call from JJ in the middle of the day. I was sat on the front porch, on the couch, beer in hand. Confusion pulls on my eyebrows, JJ was working today.

"Hey, baby." I answer. I get no answer, but I could hear JJ breathing on the other end. "JJ." Still nothing. "I'm on my way."

I poke my head inside and grab my keys. I head out to my Jeep. I start it quickly before pulling into the street.

I drive down to the Country Club and pull into a parking spot in the lot. I climb out quickly and head toward the front door.

JJ steps outside of the front door just as I reach it. He had his hand on his chest, tapping it lightly. I walk over to him, concern lacing in my brows.

"J, what's going on?" I ask him.

"I got fired. I'll explain later."

I could sense his anxiety easily, it practically rolled off him in waves. His face was pulled into a nervous frown.

"Drive safe back to the Cut, buddy!" A man yells from the balcony.

"You really need your girl to come get you?" Another yells.

"At least he has one, you fucking asshole!" I yell back.

JJ whirls around before flipping off the men. I grab onto JJ's arm, pulling him with me. He stops me, pulling me back to him. He places a deep kiss against my lips, making my back arch. My eyes widen at the sudden movement. I pull away just enough to see his face.

"What was that for?" I question confused.

"I'm so fucking in love with you."

I let out a giggle. "I love you too. Come on, J."

"Can I drive?" JJ asks me.

"Sure." I toss him the keys as I walk over to the passenger seat of my car.

He climbs into the front seat and starts the car. He instinctively reaches over, placing his hand on my thigh. He pulls out of the parking spot and drives over to the flower bed.

"What are you doing?" I question.

He ignores my question, driving into the flowers. JJ spins out my wheels, tearing up the flowers. The yells from the hotel could still be heard as JJ destroyed their property.

"Okay, babe. Time to go." I announce, looking at all the workers. "You're gonna wash my dirty ass car now."

A smirk forms on JJ's lips as he pulls into the street.