Chapter 26

I lay on the couch in the living room, an arm across my eyes. I was exhausted from the last couple of days. It was all an emotional roller coaster.

JJ moves to sit in front of me on the coffee table in front of the couch. I sit up from my laying position, swinging my legs in front of me so I'm facing him.

My brows draw together in concern when I see a sad pout on his face.

"What's the matter, J?" I ask him.

He sets a can of beer beside him. "Nobody will do a freedom shotgun with me."

I let out a light laugh, reaching for his hands. "I'll split it with you."

A small grin break across his face as he looks at me. "I love you."

"I love you too, J." I tell him.

He pulls his keys out of his pocket, stabbing a hole in the bottom of the can before cracking open the top. He brings the can to his lips, taking large swigs. When half the can is gone he hands it to me so I can drink the other half.

I set the can down next to him, watching his expression.

"At least I know someone's by my side, right?" JJ says to me.

"Always." I confirm, reaching out to cup his face.

"Come here." JJ whispers, pulling me toward him. He stands as he does this, pulling me up with him. He places his hands on my hips, my own instinctively find the back of his neck. I can feel his thumbs rubbing circles into my sides. "I'm glad you're the one by my side."

"I wouldn't be anywhere else." I tell him.

JJ bends his neck down, leaning in to press a soft kiss to my lips. I kiss him back, pulling him closer by the back of his neck. He moves his hands so that his arms are wrapped around my back, holding me flush against him. I kiss him again, much slower this time, slowly separating his lips with my own. JJ catches my bottom lip between his teeth before pulling away. I look at him through my eyelashes, a smirk forms on his face.

I'm about to reach up and kiss him again when his phone starts ringing.

"Shit, sorry." He mumble to me, fishing his phone out of his pocket. He looks at the caller ID. "Guffy? Why the hell is Guffy calling?"

"I don't know," I say confused. "Answer it."

"Hey, Guffy, what's up? .... Wait, woah, slow down.... Yeah, yeah of course. I'm going right now." JJ shoves his phone back in his pocket, nerves now evident on his face.

"J, what happened?" I ask.

"Something happened to Heyward." JJ states, rushing toward the door. I follow JJ outside and over to where Kie and Pope were talking. "Pope! Pope! Just got a call from Guffy. Something happened to your pops."

"What?" Pope panics.

The four of us take off running.

"John B! Sarah! Come on!" Kie yells for the others.

We all rush into the van. I climb in starting it as I had previously grabbed the keys from the table inside. Once everyone is inside I'm pulling out of the driveway.

As soon as I pull into a parking spot at Heyward's, everyone is rushing inside.

"Hey, Guff! Where is he?" I ask.

"He's sitting out back."

"Kie, grab the first aid kit." I instruct as I step outside, behind the building.

I spot Heyward sitting in a chair to one of the tables, holding a hand to his head.

"Hey, let's get you fixed up, okay?" I say pulling a chair up in front of him so I could sit. Kie comes outside with the first aide kit and sets it on the table next to me.

I grab the small bottle of hydrogen peroxide and pour it onto a gauze bad, wiping at the wound on his head. He winces as the liquid bubbles on his face.

"I know, I'm sorry." I mumble, continuing to work. I grab a large bandage and put some Neosporin on it before beginning to cover the wound. "Let me know if I'm hurting you."

"You're doing just fine, darling." Heyward says to me. I finish up, pulling away from the older man. "Thanks, honey."

"Pop, what happened?" Pope demands.

"Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest... and he asked me about th-th-that key from that- that drawing you showed me. And I'm case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing. Now did you track it down?"

Pope reaches into his back pocket before placing the medal key into his dads palm. "I found it in Mee-Maw's old apartment above the pharmacy, just like you said."

"Shit, boy. You should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating. What's the big deal? It ain't worth nothing. Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know." Pope replies. "First, I got this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet this rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family."

"None of it makes any sense." Kie chimes in.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!"

"No!" Pope turns down his father. "I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth—"

"No, no, no, no." Heyward cuts the boy off. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?"

"No, sir."

Heyward nods at his son's answer. "Well, all right. Now I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now..." Heyward gestures to his forehead. "Now? I'm interested. Did they say why they wanted it?"

"Something about an old cross. I think it might be some kind of lost treasure."

"You know who you should talk to? Your great grandmother, Mee-Maw."