Chapter 13

We drive through Charleston in the truck. I look around at the houses as we drive by. They were huge, really tall, very pretty and most of all, definitely expensive.

"This place is crazy I can't believe this is where they live." I say.

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for like, 300 years." Kiara tells me.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ states.

"No kidding." I agree.

Pope pulls up outside of a big, fancy house.

"Are you sure this is the right place, Pope?" JJ questions.

"Pretty sure."

"Alright." The blond boy shrugs, getting out of the car. I follow behind him, walking toward the building. "Fat city, for sure."

Pope holds up the letter next to me, comparing the addresses. "Twenty-seven King Street."

"Talk about home security." JJ announces, looking around at the tall fence that had spires poking straight up. "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"No." Kie answers.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope says, pointing. "These spikes were to keep people in." He walks up to the front door, taking the door knocker and pounding it against the door. Three loud bangs, echo through the air.

"Gee, Pope, I don't know if that was loud enough." I say sarcastically.

"Too much?" Pope asks.

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure." JJ states. "So, they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kiara speaks up.

"Why would they tell us to come here if there was no one here?" I ask her.

"Well, they did expect us yesterday." Kiara claims.

Pope reaches for the door knocker again, banging it against the door again. The door opens just as he's about to knock for a third time. A man steps forward, leaning against the door frame.

He points directly at Pope. "You must be Pope."

"Um..." Pope looks between the three of us behind him. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey expected you yesterday."

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here."

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ adds. "Sorry about that."

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up."

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation. We got here as fast as we could." Kie tells the man.

"She also expected to come alone."

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. So I—"

The man cuts Pope off. "The instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside."

"You really think we're dumb enough to let our friend into the home of stranger alone and not knowing the true intentions of them?" I ask the man.

"We're kind of a package deal, man." JJ adds.

"JJ, Kat. It's okay. I got this." Pope tells us.

"Are you sure?" I question. "'Cause I'll come, I don't care what they have to say."

"It's true." JJ confirms. I know he was thinking about when I walked into his house with him to steal the Phantom keys from his dad. "She'll be there."

"I'll be good." Pope says.

"Yeah. We'll be right here." Kiara yells him.

"Keep the car running." Pope instructs. I watch as he reaches down to grab Kie's hand, giving it a squeeze. She returns the gesture, looking up at him.

We all watch as Pope disappears into the building. JJ sighs before grabbing my hand and turning back toward the truck.

"Come on, Kie." JJ says.

The three of us climb into the truck. JJ in the drivers seat, me in the middle and Kie in the passenger seat. I look over at the building.

"I don't like this at all." I announce.

"Look, if Limbrey is legit, then Ward gets arrested and maybe Sarah gets the gold."

"That's a lot of 'if's' Kie." I tell her.

Kie looks to the house as the man walks out with Pope. The man had a hand on Pope's shoulder as he lead him.

"Does that look voluntary? Kie asks.

JJ and I both look over to the guy manhandling our friend.

"That would be a negative." JJ says.

"Yeah, I don't think so." I agree.

Kie goes to open the car door. "Come on."

"Wait," JJ stops her. "Hold on, hold on."

"What?"

"They're going into the alley."

"Go around back?" Kie questions.

"Yeah, yeah, we'll meet them on the other side."

"Okay. Be chill, be chill."

"Yeah, sure."