Chapter 11

"My parents are paranoid of of me being a Pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen." Kiara explains.

We were now all sat or standing around the truck Pope had taken from his father. We had made it onto the ferry, headed toward Charleston. Kiara had been telling us about her parents trying to take her to boarding school.

"Hey, I heard they got good weed at boarding school." JJ states.

"Of course that's what you'd think about." I say shaking my head.

"I'm not going to boarding school." Kie tells us. "They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up and throw me in a van."

JJ climbs down from where he was sat next to me on the roof of the car. "Well, I say... we just crumble some herb right now." He hands his joint down to the girl as he takes a seat next to her. He reaches up to grab my hand that was sitting in my lap.

"Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope asks the girl.

"Like twenty-million times."

"That's quite a few times." JJ giggles.

"Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering."

"Well, I don't think they have any money to by their own cellphones." I speak up.

"What about the gold?" JJ questions.

"You really think my brother would be able to keep track of that after capsizing the Phantom."

"Ugh, don't remind me. Fair point."

"Guys." Pope says catching our attention. "Until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name. Right now, this letter's our best bet." Pope holds up the letter from C. Limbrey.

JJ nods as the other boy speaks. "Right. Stay on task. That's why I love you, Pope."

Kiara stands from her seated position, holding the joint out to the darker boy. "What Pope are you gonna be today?"

The boy stares at the weed for a moment before looking up at the girl. "I'm good. I'm gonna try to focus."

"Good Pope." Kie confirms. "Boring Pope." She sits next to JJ, causing him to drop my hand. I look down at her, my eyebrows drawing together. Definitely was not a fan of that.

"I'll take that." JJ says wiggling his fingers. He takes the joint back from the girl. "Do tricks now. Roll over boy." JJ mocks Pope.

I roll my eyes, climbing down from the top of the truck and climbing into the passenger seat of the truck.

"Baby, where you going?" JJ asks with a fake pout.

"What's her problem?" I hear Kie ask.

Pope stands from his leaning position against the truck, and climbs in next to me, closing the door. He takes my hand in his own.

"What's the matter, Kat?"

"Did you not see them?" I question. "How are you okay with that?"

"I'm not. But we've got bigger issues than that right now. Besides, JJ loves you, you have nothing to worry about. I'm the one that should be freaking out."

"I'm not losing him too." I tell Pope.

"You won't. No way in hell I'd let her take him from you."

I lean my head against his shoulder. "I'm so tired, Pope."

"I know. You can't give back in though. We need you here."

"I know." I pause a moment, thinking. "Hey, Pope?"

"Yes, Kat?" Pope teases me by mocking my tone.

"I'm sorry for being a bitch on the HMS that night we looked for John B at Tannyhill. I should've stood up for you, I know what that scholarship meant to you.

"You don't have to be sorry, Kat. I was being a dick too. You're my best friend and I'm sorry I said otherwise."

"It's okay, P. You were just trying to hurt me back."

"I shouldn't have."

Our conversation gets cut off when the other door of the car opens. JJ's eyebrows draw together, looking at me.

"Hey, uh... Can we get a minute, Pope?"

"Yeah, no problem." He gives my hand a squeeze before getting out of the car.

JJ climbs in next to me. "I upset you, didn't I?"

"No. I just didn't like that she kinda pushed me out of the way. I'm already scared of losing you after the shit I pulled. I don't need her pushing me away from you too."

"Baby, I'm not going anywhere. Especially not with her." He makes a grossed out expression. "You're all I need, you know that?"

"I love you."

"I love you too." He says before pressing a light kiss on my lips.