Chapter 33

JJ and I step outside as we hear the van pulling up to the house. I look over at him, shaking my head.

"They all know exactly why we disappeared." I point out.

"Let them. It's not any of their business." JJ shrugs, grabbing onto my hand.

"Well it doesn't help that your fly is down."

"What?" JJ panics, letting go of my hand. He frantically looks down at his shorts. "Wait, no it's not."

"Made you look." I laugh.

"Oh, you- I hate you." JJ smiles back at me.

"Hmm, that's not what you were saying ten minutes ago." I tease.

"No, no it was not." JJ mumbles as the rest of the Pogue's make their way over to us. As they get closer we notice bruises were forming on both of the boys faces. "Woah, what the hell happened to you guys?"

"Kooks decided they needed to have a rematch of what happened at the Kegger this summer." Kiara responds.

"Are you fucking kidding me? This was Topper again?" I snap.

"Kat, we're fine." John B reassures me.

"Let's not forget this is the guy who tried to drown you, and then pushed you from the top of the lookout."

Pope starts grabbing logs from a small pile we had and putting them into the firepit. Kie goes to turn the lights on that JJ had put up during the summer. JJ pulls me toward the fire pit before taking a seat and pulling me into his lap.

"I've had more black eyes in the last month then I've ever had." Pope claims.

"That was building up for years. Rumble in the jungle." JJ comments, picking up a stick and a marshmallow.

"Hey, did you really stick up for Sarah?" John B asks Kie.

Kie shrugs, looking at the boy. "Of course I did. She's not a real Kook."

"Right." John B retorts. "Tell that to Topper."

"Topper's big ass skull is too thick to get any information through." I state.

I look over at JJ, my attention being pulled from the Pogue's conversation. He looks down at me as he takes a bite of a s'more he had made.

"Did you want me to share, or...?" JJ holds the s'more in mid air.

A small laugh escapes my lips. "I love you."

"I love you too, babe." JJ says back. "Seriously though, did you want a bite?"

"No, eat your s'more." I say with a smile before pressing a kiss to his cheek. His grip on my waist tightens as I wrap my arm across his shoulders.

"Hey, shh, shh." John B shushes us from his new spot, crouched by his chair.

A rustling sound comes from behind where we all sat, catching all of our attention. We all freeze in place, trying to create as little sound as possible.

"Somebody's here." Pope observes.

John B stands from his crouched position. JJ stands too, sliding me off his lap and pulling me behind Pope to block me from whatever was causing the noises.

"You don't think Topper would.." Kie wonders out loud.

"I wouldn't put it past him." JJ speaks up.

"Do you have your gun?" Kie asks the blond boy.

"Oh now she wants the gun." JJ criticizes.

"Oh now you don't have the gun?" Kie snaps back.

"No."

We all start slowly moving towards where the sound was coming from. John B was in the front, followed by Kie, Pope, me, and then JJ in the back.

"Isn't it your 'secret' weapon?" Kie does air quotes with her fingers when she says secret.

"Shut up." John B demands at the two arguing.

"God damn, now she wants the gun." JJ keeps mumbling under his breath.

I turn to the boy, grabbing his hand. "J, be quiet." I tell him nervously. He catches the anxiety in my voice and gives my hand a light squeeze.

"Hey who's out there?" John B calls out.

"You Kooks better not try anything!" Kie adds.

"Who's there?" JJ's voice comes out sharp.

A figure steps out from behind our shed with his hands up. "Hey, how y'all doing?" He asks as he comes into view.

"It's this piece of shit." Pope states, recognizing the man as the one always tagging along with Limbrey. "You gotta be kidding me."

"Lovely evening we're having."

"What the hell do you want?" I ask the man.

"Look, I uh... I don't hold a grudge with any of y'all, all right?" But this can go hard, or this can go easy." The man walks toward us. "You know what I'm here for." We all stay quiet. "Let me give you a little demonstration. You see that swing right there?" Renfield points at the swing JJ was holding onto. "I got the best bow hunters in the Army Rangers with me."

"Yeah, mhmm." JJ responds sarcastically.

Renfield let's out a whistle. An arrow comes flying between all of us, implanting itself in the tree.

"Now, they're out there. They'll stick you just as soon as I say so." Renfield approaches Pope, so that he's barely a foot from him.

JJ makes a move to go toward Renfield but an arrow plants in the ground just in front of him.

"Uh, uh, uh." Renfield sounds. "We clear? Now I'm not gonna give you a count down or any bullshit like that. I'm just gonna whistle.

We all continue to stay silent as Pope pulls the key out of his pocket.

"This key belongs to my family." Pope spits.

Renfield laughs. "I'm losing my patience with you, Pope." Renfield lists his fingers up to his mouth, getting ready to whistle again. Pope gives in and hands over the key. Renfield holds up the key to Pope. "You did the right thing, kid. Knowing when you don't have a choice is an unappreciated talent. You be safe." Renfield turns to leave, looking directly at JJ as he walks past him. "Easy there. Y'all have a good night."

"Piss off, asshole." I shout at the man. All he does is chuckle as he walks away.

"Ooh, down girl." JJ tells me.

"I'm so sick of this shit." Pope seethes through his teeth before stomping away.