Chapter 16

"Home sweet home." I say as we pull up to the dock at the chateau.

"There she is." John B mumbles, looking at our house.

"Bet it is good to see her old bones." JJ speaks up. "Welcome home, guys."

JJ is the first one off the boat, tying it to the dock. He grabs my hand next, helping me off the boat. I hand him his backpack I had grabbed.

"Thanks, baby."

"You know, I gotta be honest. Not exactly looking forward to a check-in at home. My parents probably already arranged my funeral."

"I also predict unpleasantries at the Heyward household after I left the truck in Charleston." Pope adds.

"Will you at least tell them I'm okay?" I ask Pope. "They do still have custody over me. I haven't been there in awhile."

"Yeah, of course." Pope agrees.

"No one knows we're here, right?" JJ speaks up. "And you two aren't going to get into any more trouble for showing up 12 hours later. Am I right or am I right?"

"You're not wrong." Pope speaks up.

"So that means we have 12 more hours to do whatever we want. Huh? A little Pogue fellowship. How does that sound?

"Let the shit hit the fan tomorrow." John B adds.

"Yeah!" JJ cheers.

"The cops could be looking for us. It could be really stupid." Sarah states.

"Sarah Cameron, you've heard of my philosophy, right?" JJ questions walking over to the girl.

"No." She says with a slight smile.

"Stupid things have good outcomes all the time." JJ informs her as the rest of us mouth the words at the same time. "Who's with me? Let's get some beer!"

JJ walks toward the house, the rest of us in tow. JJ walks toward my bedroom, I follow him. I open my closet, beginning to pull clean clothes out of my dresser. JJ comes up behind me, pressing light kisses to my neck as he places his hands on my hips.

"How can I help you, Mr. Maybank?"

"Just wanna kiss my girlfriend." He tells me. He spins me around so I'm facing him. He presses a soft kiss to my lips.

"I love you." I tell him.

"I love you too."

"I'm gonna get changed, okay?"

"I get to see you naked?" JJ questions excitedly.

"JJ." I say laughing. "We are not doing this right now."

"Doing what? I didn't imply anything, which means it's on your mind."

"Get changed." I tell him, shaking my head. "I'm changing in the bathroom."

I leave the boy in the room. I could hear him giggling as I walk into the bathroom. I pull on my fresh clothes after stripping out of my old ones.

I walk back out of the bathroom, running into JJ as he walks out of my room. JJ lifts me off my feet and runs outside, heading back toward the boat. A loud laugh escapes my lips as I bounce around as he carries me to the boat.

John B pulls the boat back out into the water and heads towards the convenience store. JJ and Kiara disappear inside and come back moments later with several cases of beer.

***

I walk out of the house, the cool breeze blowing against my exposed skin. I adjust my bikini as JJ walks over to me.