Chapter 8

"Kiara, did you find anything?" Pope calls out.

"Yeah, did you find the gun?" JJ adds.

"No, nothing."

"It's probably at the bottom of the catch basin." Pope tells her.

We all wait in silence, waiting for an update from the girl. I turn to look at JJ, he looks over at me, a small smile spreading across his lips.

"Love you." I mouth to him.

"Love you too." He mouths back.

I glance over at Pope. He stares into the tunnel. I nod my head at him, catching JJ's attention. I knew Pope hated being a third wheel so I had always tried to avoid that now that JJ and I were public about us being together.

JJ sets the crowbar on top of the tunnel, catching my signal. He looks over at our friend. "All right, bro, I see you vibing on Kie, okay? Give me the details. Are we talking first base, second base, third base?"

"Try not even in the same ballpark." Pope responds.

"What do you mean?" I speak up. "I thought something was happening there."

"It's like we're not playing the same game."

"Well have you even told her what game you're playing?" I question him.

"Not really. Not since the summer."

"Okay, well there's your first problem. Kie's a little bit more complicated than that, P."

"Well, here's the thing... The other night— She was all over me."

"All right." JJ nods, listening to the boy.

"And..."

"Good start."

"But she was wasted, so it doesn't really count."

"Right, I see how that could be an issue." I note.

"I tried to be edgy, out there Pope, and she didn't like that. So I tried to be straitlaced Pope. She didn't like that." Pope was starting to get worked up.

JJ reaches out to the boy, gripping his shoulders. "I understand." JJ insisted, talking loud enough to be heard over the other boy.

"So, I don't know what to do." Pope finally announces.

"Pope, think." JJ says, pointing to his temple. "I know you can do that, all right? Like, light some candles. Put on some Otis Redding. Yeah, that would work. Or like, okay guitar."

"I can't play guitar." Pope states. "I can't do any of those things."

"You guys are way overthinking this. When she kisses you the first time, you were just being Pope. So just be Pope. Be the goofy, nerdy, sweet guy that we all love. Because that's what she's gonna want. And if not, she's missing out, and you'll go find the right person for you."

"That hasn't worked either. Well, JJ, what did you do to get Kat?" Pope asks.

"Why do I even bother talking?" I mumble. JJ notices, putting his arm around my shoulders. I instinctively snake my own around his waist.

"Look, Kat's a lot different than Kie. Kat knew what she wanted, she made a decision. That was kinda that." JJ looks down at me, a small smile on his face. My own smile dances on my lips as I look up at him.

"You guys are not helpful." Pope concludes. "And gross."

"Guys, I found something." Kie finally announces.

"Oh, thank god." I say cutting off the boys' conversation. "What you got, Kie?"

"Is it the gun?" Pope adds.

"Pope! Pope! Oh my god, there's something dead in here!" Kie panics. Her voice echos through out the tube as the sound makes its way to us.

The three of us squat down, looking into the dark tunnel. "Is it— like a person?" Pope hesitantly asks.

Kie let's out a loud scream. "Oh my god, there's something dead! I repeat—"

"A person?" Pope asks again.

"Something dead is in here!"

"Kie, don't touch it! That's how you get worms." JJ calls out next to me. I look at him incredulously, shaking my head at the boy.

"Is it the gun?" Pope questions. "Is it Gavin?"

"What is it?" JJ asks.

"Don't touch it!" Pope yells.

For a brief moment it's silent before Kie yells out again. "You guys owe me for life!"

"What if Ward put Gavin in the sewer, dude?" JJ speculates, standing up, and looking over at the other boy. "Hold on, that makes total sense."

"I hate that that could be true." I speak up. "He's sadistic enough." I pause for a second when I hear the sound of gurgling water. "Wait, guys. Do you hear that?"

"What?" JJ questions.

"Shh, listen." I demand.

"Guys!" Kiara yells loudly. "Guys, the water!"

"Oh god." I stress at the same time Pope curses.

"Shit! Kiara, get out of there now!" Pope panics.

"I don't have time! Guys! Shit! Oh no!"

"Shit!" Pope and JJ say at the same time, looking at each other.

I get up from my position and grab JJ's hand, pulling him up and over to the manhole. I hear Pope close behind as our feet slam against the concrete beneath us.

"Hey, guys! I'm over here!" I hear Kie yell.

I drop down, gripping the manhole cover as soon as I reach out. "JJ help me!" I call out.

JJ grabs the other side. I let go as Pope catches up, knowing he'd be more help than me.

"Hurry! Hurry!" Kie yells frantically.

"It's okay, Kie. We got you." I try to reassure her, but seeing how much the boys were struggling, there wasn't much conviction behind my statement.

Both boys grunt as they pull on the cover as hard as they could. Panic rises in my chest as I watch.

"Pope! Pope, please!"

"We're gonna get you out of there, I promise." Pope tells the girl.

The water begins to bubble over the grate, just as the boys pull it open. Kie erupts out of the top, gasping for air as she pulls herself up and out of the water. She lays down against the pavement as she coughs up water.

"Kiara!" Pope says relieved. He wraps his arms around the girl. "Are you okay? I thought we lost you."

The girl grabs his arm, pulling it off her body. "Pope, get off of me. Get off me!" The boy falls back defeated.

"Kie, you good?" JJ asks her.

The girl gives him a thumbs up. "Never better." She announces sarcastically.

I reach out a hand, helping her to her feet. The girl looks over at me once she's standing.

"This isn't what we were looking for, was it?" She asks as she pulls the gun out of her waistband. Both the boys start laughing in excitement.

"Get the fuck out." I say in complete shock.

"Oh my god. Holy shit." JJ says as he grabs a towel, wrapping it around the gun as he takes it from the girl. "Dude, we're gonna get this son of a bitch, man! You did it, Kie!" JJ holds out his arms, wrapping the three of us in a big hug. "Let's get this to Shoupe."