Chapter 27

The awkward silence was overwhelming in the van. You could practically reach out and cut the tension with a knife. The silence is finally broken when Pope speaks up.

"Guys, the thing Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip. She said the key leads to the cross of Santa Domingo."

"Wait, can I see that?" JJ asks, reaching for the key. Pope hands the key over to the blonde boy.

"Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah retorts.

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance."

"Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king." Kie says, looking up from her phone.

"New Spain?" JJ asks. "Is there an Old Spain?"

"No, JJ ." I answer with an amused smile.

"Shit, talk about over gifting. Look at this thing." Kiara flashes her phone to all of us, revealing the large cross.

"Looks like a person standing next to it." Pope says pointing at it.

"So it's a giant ass cross." JJ points out.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829."

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ questions.

"Oh, no. Not the triangle." John B voices.

"It always leads back to the triangle!" JJ announces. "Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda."

"What does a key found above your Mee-Maws pharmacy have to do with any of this? Where do we come in?" Kie asks.

"I don't know. That's a good question." Pope states.

We pull up to Shady Acres Assisted Living. Pope climbs out first, Kie and JJ close behind. He turns to face us.

"Hey, actually, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself." Pope stops us.

"Are you sure?" Kie checks.

"Yeah, I can handle it. I don't really need you, so..."

"Damn, Pope." I mumble. "Can you be anymore hostile?"

"Oh, we're just one big happy family today, aren't we?" JJ lets out.

"Hey, man, pick you up in a bit!" John B calls out as the rest of us climb back into the car.

John B takes off down the road once again. A few moments later he's pulling up in front of the tiny strip mall we had in town. Kie, Sarah and I climb out, heading into the building, leaving the two boys to talk.

"Kie, what's happening with Pope?" I ask, looking over at her.

"I sorta broke up with him? If that's what you'd even call it."

"Oh, shit. What happened?"

"Things are a bit more one sided then I'd hoped."

"With you or him?"

"I wasn't feeling it." Kie shrugs.

"That's okay. You can't force it on yourself to act like you like someone that way. You're both good people, you'll both find someone better for you."

"I wish he'd see it that way." Kie laughs.

"You just happened to date the guy the most in touch with his emotions." The three of us laugh. "So, then what's going on with you and John B?" I question Sarah. "This is coming as your friend, not his sister." I let out a light laugh.

"He's just so possessive sometimes. He's very dramatic."

"You're telling me. I grew up with the fool."

"I almost died the other night when Rafe jumped me. If it weren't for Topper, I'm not sure I'd still be here. So of course I thanked Topper. He saved my life, and I'd put him through so much already. And you'd think that is the crime of the century."

"Tell me about it. All this crazy shit's happening, and Pope's giving me the silent treatment for not being in love with him.

"I mean, you did tell him after you slept with him." I point out.

"I did do that." Kie cringes. "That was a mistake."

"Which one?" I ask.

"Probably both." Kie says, putting her lips together and nodding.

"You and JJ still on good terms?" Sarah asks me as we make our way back to the car.

"Always." I state.

"Lucky you." The other girls say in unison.

"Yeah, wanna see something gross?" I ask them.

"Ugh, no. But yes." Kie answers.

I lean forward between to two front seats, turning to JJ. I press a lingering kiss to his lips, causing him to break out in a small smile.

"Hi baby." He says to me, catching my lips in another quick kiss before I sit back down in my seat.

John B makes a gagging sound, turning away.

"Ugh, you guys are so cute. I hate you." Sarah jokes, shaking her head.

"I will never get over their relationship." Kie says to Sarah.

John B starts the van up, pulling into the road.

Pope makes his way down the ramp of the retirement home just as we pull in front of the building.

"There he is." John B voices.

Pope sighs as he climbs into the back of the van. Something was obviously bugging him. He sits down, closing the door in silence.

"You all good, P?" I ask the boy.

"Shit just got way more personal." Pope responds.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I question