Chapter 10

I follow the group of Pogues into the school line. The group was lead by Pope with me in the back.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ questions.

"I don't know." Kiara mumbles to the blond boy.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with a protractor? What's going on?"

The librarian throws her hand in the air in frustration with our loud volume. A loud shush comes out of her mouth as she glares at us.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane."

"Okay, so the guy that came in class today to talk to me was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this." The boy hands a piece of paper to the other boy. "Read it."

JJ rips open the envelope, pulling out the card inside.

"Out loud." Kiara instructs

JJ stares at the paper for a moment before giving up. He hands the note to me. "I can't read cursive." He informs me.

I take the note from him. "I got you, babe." I begin to read the note.

"Dear Mr. Heyward,
I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge."

"Holy shit." I let out.

"Keep reading." Kie demands.

"It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00pm sharp tonight. Please come alone.
Regards, C. Limbrey."

"Charleston?" JJ questions confused.

"It's like an 8 hour drive plus the ferry. How will we get there tonight?" Poor stresses.

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ states.

"I have a free period." Kiara speaks up.

"'Material evidence?' What does that even mean, 'material evidence'?" JJ questions.

"It means he can clear John B."

"Oh, shit. Then we're going to Charleston." JJ announces loudly.

"I gotta tell my mom." Kiara says. "Look, if we get it this time we are not giving it to Shoupe.

"Yeah, no duh." JJ agrees as Pope begins to google 'Limbrey'.

Pope sighs when results appear in the screen.

"What's going on, P?" I ask him.

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant."

"I'm sorry, what?"

***

"Baby, no, you can't go to Charleston on a school night." Kiara's mom tells her daughter.

"But this is my chance to finally clear John B's name!"

"Baby—"

"What does it mean now to clear John B's name? He's gone!" Kie's dad speaks up. His word felt like a slap to the face.

"Mike!"

"He's gone!"

"Michael!" This time Anna stands, looking at her husband.

"You have to accept it!" Mike continues.

"Stop it!" Anna snaps. "His sister is right there." She gestures to me.

"We want to go so he didn't have to die in vain." I speak up. Tears were burning in my eyes as I looked between her parents. I know John B was alive, but I couldn't believe these were the things they'd say about him if he was really gone. I had gone with her for moral support but now I had nothing but regret.

I turn around to head back to the car. "Kat, wait!" I hear her mom yell after me.

I ignore her, heading back to the truck and climbing into the seat next to JJ. The tears finally fall as I look down into my lap. I suck in a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. JJ turns and looks at me. I see his eyebrows crease in concern.

"Baby, what happened?" JJ questions, reaching out to take my hand.

"I'm fine." I whisper. "Her dad just said something about John B, it's okay."

JJ shakes his head in irritation. "That guy is so annoying."

"They're not letting her go."

JJ's about to say something else when Kiara makes her way back to the vehicle. Her dad continues to yell at her.

"Look at your life right now! Look at your life!"

I open the car door, allowing Kiara to squeeze into the seat next to me.

Pope sticks his head out the window. "Hi, uh, ma'am, sir... I— I promise have her back at a reasonable hour and safe."

"What are you doing?" Kiara asks him.

"Kiara, listen to me!" Anna demands. "You wanna go, then you can go. But if you don't come back at the proper plan then don't come back at all!"

"She's bluffin'." JJ mumbles.

"I don't know if she is." I reply.

"Y'all have a good day!" JJ waves to the adults.

"This shit would be so much easier without parents." Kiara tells us.