Chapter 35

"Guys' we're coming up on Freedman's Church." Pope announces when the old building comes into view. "The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed."

We keep driving until the massive tree appears in front of us.

"There's the Angel Oak." Kiara points out.

"Uh, that's not gonna work." I voice when I notice the road ahead of us had started to flood.

"Oh shit. The tide's coming." John B notices.

"Hey wait a second. Look. They already came through here." Pope points at the tire tracks that were going through the mud on the road in front of us. John B brakes just before we reach the tire marks. "Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go.

"Hmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ asks my brother.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

"Okay," Kiara speaks. "Clearly they made it. No?"

"They obviously were here before us." I say to the girl. "The tide's gone up since then."

"Yeah, plus in a two wheel drive? I don't know about that." JJ adds.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah questions from next to me. "Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?"

John B shrugs a hand in the air. "She's got a point."

"Speed is your friend here, okay?" JJ advises. "So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother."

"Stick to the high ground in the middle, John B." Pope adds.

"Alright, ready? Here we go."

John B puts the car in gear before slamming his foot down on the gas. The van roars as it works up to a faster speed. The wheels kicked up mud, sending it flying in the air as the tires spun.

"Come on, bro! Punch it!" JJ encourages. "Speed is your friend. Speed is your friend. You're not going fast enough."

"I'm in second!" John B exclaims.

"It's gonna slide." Kiara whines.

"You're fishtailing already." JJ speaks up again.

"I know."

"Alright, not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever." Pope pokes his head between the two front seats.

John B pushes Pope's forehead, pushing back into the backseat. "Put your head back."

John B keeps driving, slipping and sliding through the mud, but eventually he pulls us out and back onto the solid road beyond the mud puddle.

"Wow, I'm impressed. Well done, JB." I tell him.

"Well, at least someone appreciates my efforts." John B retorts.

"Alright, right here. Right here." JJ instructs. John B stops the car and we all climb out. "The Angel Oak is right here. Alright, so word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here, so keep your eyes peeled okay? You don't wanna step on a mama gator. That's the last thing you want."

I pause in the frame of the back door. "I'm sorry, what? No way I'm getting out. I'll catch y'all later."

"Kat, come on." Pope sighs.

"Hell no, absolutely not. I'm sorry, but gators is where I'm gonna have to draw the line."

"Baby, come on. I wouldn't let anything come near you." JJ tells me.