Chapter 7

I follow the Pogues out to the marshy area. A large cement drain hangs over the water and grass.

"This is the north drain. It should've gotten washed into the gully. So if it got flushed out from this drain, it would have been pushed out to, like—" JJ explains as he gestures toward the water.

"Somewhere in this trash." Pope finishes.

"Correct." JJ confirms.

"Oh my god." Kie mumbles. "People who use plastic should be shot."

"That's certainly dark." I say.

"Okay, personally, I love plastic. Use it everyday. Love the stuff." JJ replies.

"Hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean."

"I thought you'd say something like that, so... trash bags." Poor says, pulling them out of his backpack and holding them up to the girl.

"Wow, you guys are gross." I cringe.

"We're gross?" Pope asks me in disbelief.

"Yeah, yes, that's what I said."

"Did you just proactively protect the environment?" Kie asks the boy.

"Maybe."

"You want us to leave you two alone, or what's going on?" JJ wonders, looking between the two.

Pope throws the roll of trash bags at the blond boy. "Just pick up the trash."

"Oh, so you two can go mack on each other in private?" I tease.

"Fuck off, Kat." Pope says with a small smile, shaking his head.

"Whatever." I laugh as I hop of the ledge and into the marshy water. JJ pulls a bag from the roll of garbage bags, opening it up. He hands the loose bag to me. "Thank you, sir."

"You're welcome, ma'am." JJ chirps as he jumps on next to me. He starts taking the piles of trash and placing it into the bag I was holding.

Pope and Kie do the same thing behind us. Working on picking up the rest of the trash on their side. We all work together to pick up all the trash, throwing the bags onto the grass above us.

"Well that was fun." JJ states sarcastically.

"Did anyone find the gun?" Kie questions.

"No." I snap. JJ reaches out and gives my shoulder a squeeze, getting me to relax.

"If it's not in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain." Pope informs us.

"It's in... It's in the drain." JJ repeats disappointed.

"Well now what?" I question.

"We go in." Pope answers immediately.

"Good thing I brought the crow." JJ noted. He bends down over the pile of trash, looking for his tool.

"So, are we gonna do, like, rock, paper, scissors?" Kie  questions.

"No." JJ answers as he pries the grate to the drain with the crowbar.

"Or alphabetically?"

"No." JJ repeats. He bends down grabbing hold of the grate. "On three, Pope. One, two, three."

"Or like the oldest goes?"

"In the sewer, there's a worm that you can get when you're down there. It gets in your blood, and then it has to come out your pecker. So, uh... that would be a hard pass for me." JJ finally explains.

"Yeah, that's gonna have to be a no for me too." Pope adds.

"No, I get it. I get it. You guys are scared." Kie states, mocking the two boys.

"It's kind of cute."

"It's the pecker thing for me." Pope says.

"You know, personally I'd prefer my boyfriend's pecker to continue to work properly." I announce.

"Ew, TMI." Kie cringes, scrunching her nose.

"You're really telling me you don't feel the same about Pope?" I question.

"Uh..." Kie's cheeks go red. She turns toward the tunnel. "It's fine, I'll do it. You guys don't have to be scared." Before the boys open the grate she turn to the three of us. "Wait, why can't Kat do it?"

"Oh, absolutely not." JJ responds.

"Why?" Kie demands.

"Pope may be willing to put you in there, but I sure as hell am not putting Kat in there."

"Someone's gotta do it." Pope shrugs. "Just uh, you know, be careful." Pope opens the grate, leaving the tunnel wide open.

"I'll be so careful." Kiara responds, climbing into the tunnel.

I turn to JJ, placing a hand in his cheek. "I'll be safe. I'll be so safe, for you." I joke, remembering the time we made fun of my brother outside the Crain house. JJ let's out a laugh, pressing a quick kiss to my lips.

The blond turns back to the girl in the tunnel. "Just, uh, holler if you need anything , okay? We'll uh, we'll holler back."

"Very helpful. Thank you."

"If it really comes down to it, I'll come in after you." I reassure her.

"At least one of you cares." Kie retorts.