Chapter 9

JJ sets the gun in front of Shoupe. The weapon clatters as it hits the solid desk in front of the sheriff. The room fills with an awkward silence as we all stare at the officer, waiting for him to say something.

"So y'all are telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron used to kill Sheriff Peterkin?"

"That's exactly what we're telling you." JJ confirms.

"And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin." Pope adds.

"I— And where's that corpse again?" Shoupe challenges.

"Did you not look?" I snap. "That's your job, not ours."

"Simmer down, Routledge. I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out."

"Yeah, 'cause he was fucking dead!"

"Are you kidding me? Listen to yourself." JJ speaks up. "It makes perfect sense."

"Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of homicide." Shoupe responds calmly.

"What are you talking about?" Kie exasperates. "Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or are you just gonna sit on your ass?"

"He'll sit there and wax that mustache. Is that even real?" JJ yells.

"I'll wax this—"

"Shut up, JJ." Pope demands.

"It's not fair!" Kie cries out.

"Oh I'm sorry, did I hurt his feelings?" JJ retorts.

"Shut up!"

Shoupe gets up from his desk and walks towards the door to his office. He stops, looking at the four of us. "Get out! I got work to do!"

"Are you serious?" JJ seethes, frustrated. He pulls his hat off, looking at the ground.

"Y'all are smelling up my damn office."

Kiara gets up from her seat, walking over to the sheriff. "Did Ward Bribe you? This doesn't make any sense." She walks towards the exit.

JJ follows. "You ain't gonna do shit."

"Out!" Shoupe barks.

Pope and I stay in the room for a couple seconds after the other two had left. I follow the boy over to the sheriff.

"We brought you the murder weapon. There's no logical reason for you to not send it in."

"Go with your friends." Shoupe tells Pope.

"Really?" I finally speak up again as Pope leaves. I look the sheriff directly in the eye with no hesitation. "What does he have against you? Did he threaten to kill you too? Someone you love? Because that's what he does. He killed my father. He's the reason my brother is dead. He's taken everything from me and I know you know that. So what's it gonna take Shoupe? More murders? More losses? Because that's all there's gonna be with him roaming around out there while you sit here on your ass twiddling your thumbs."

"Look, I know your angry. I'm sorry you lost your brother. But it's time for you to go." Shoupe responds.

I shake my head at him. "You're a coward." I tell him. "I hope you know that."

I follow after the rest of the Pogues. I climb into the drivers seat of my car and start it without saying a word. The air was filled with frustration and sadness, it was practically tangible. I pull out of the parking lot and head towards Heyward's.

"You okay?" JJ asks quietly, putting a hand on my thigh. I nod, staring straight ahead.

All I wanted was a drink and to go to bed. I was done for the day. Any energy, positivity and motivation had been completely sucked dry.