Chapter twenty-four

Halloween: a time that placed magnificent Marauder traditions.

Jacey had already set up as many pranks in the bathroom for the boys as she could. Hair dye in Sirius' shampoo, temporary stay on glue for James' hair gel, a spider to freak everyone except Remus out, the Peter's deodorant switched out with cream cheese, and a fake banshee trapped in the mirror to scare them. She just had to watch the chaos unravel before her.

As she walked to the common room, the screams came from the dorm. They must've fallen since she heard thumps. Sirius' scream sounded like a girl's scream. Regulus must've fallen asleep last night while talking with Sirius since she heard his yelling.

All of the boys came rushing down as Jacey flipped a page of her magazine.

"My hair, you arse!"

"Why does my hair feel so stiff?"

"Cream cheese! Really?"

"A fake banshee?"

"A spider by the toilet, you bitch!"

Jacey started laughing at her friends and brothers. Halloween was fun.

"It was way too easy," she laughed.

"That's your defense?" Regulus yelled.

"Yes." She waved her wand and muttered a spell. Sirius and James' hair turned back to normal. The deodorant was fixed and everything was normal. "There, ya babies. Now let's head to breakfast."

All of the boys were grumbling about the morning pranks. Jacey was feeling accomplished that morning. They all sat at the table. The twins piled food on their plates.

James grabbed his tentacle tarts. "Regulus, since this is your first year as a marauder, you won't pay for the candy apples this year if you're the first one out," James said.

  "And what tells you that I'll be the first one out?" Regulus asked, putting down his toast.

  "We just mean that we go to pretty big haunted houses," Sirius explained. "They all look really real. You think Jacey's bathroom prank was bad, the houses are hell."

  Jacey let out a scream. "Why is my skin blue?" she yelled.

  Remus began silently laughing. Jacey glared at him.

  "Nothing like a simple blue skin spell," he said. He threw his wand in the air and caught it in his hand. Jacey pushed him. "You pranked first, Wolfie." He had a mischievous smirk which was scary to see since there was always something bad was going to happen when Remus had that smirk.

"It was small pranks, Moony. Blue skin isn't small."

"Enough with your flirting," Sirius groaned.

"Who's flirting?" James asked.

Regulus smacked his hand against his forehead. "Jeez, James, you are totally not clueless," he said sarcastically. "Anyway, I am going to pay if I'm the first one out. But I won't be the first one out."

Jacey let out a breath in the beautiful autumn air. She loved this season. It was never too cold most days or too hot and just right for wearing a flannel.

She wore a red flannel with a black shirt and black pants with converse and a grey beanie on her head.

James stood next to her as they looked at the haunted house. He wore blue jeans with a white shirt and a red jacket.

"Okay, ten sickles Wormtail's the first out," James said.

"I'll take that action," she said. "I say Sirius is the first one out."

"No way Pads is losing this. He made a big deal about the houses being scary to Regulus, so he'll do whatever it takes to stay in."

"I guess we'll have to just go to the haunted house with dog cruelty." James gasped dramatically. Jacey laughed. "I am the devil's sister." They both laughed.

  James put an arm around Jacey's shoulder and they walked to the three broomsticks to join their friends. They all sat down and drank their butterbeer over jokes. Sirius was in between James and Regulus and laughed when James spilled a bit of butterbeer when Jacey made a joke. Peter and Jacey were racing to see who could finish their drink faster. Remus just laughed with the rest of his friends.

  These were the good times. Only they didn't understand that. They wouldn't understand until September first 1981.

Jacey enjoyed her candy apple that Sirius bought. He kept grumbling about losing as Regulus kept going on and on about how the houses weren't even that scary. James passed her money in her hand discreetly as they stood side by side.

"I still can't believe Sirius was the first one out again," Peter laughed. "Ah, brings me back to first year."

"Oh, fuck off," Sirius said.

"Hey, watch your language in front of the child," Jacey joked. Regulus her elbowed her side.

Everyone laughed. Regulus laughed sarcastically. He hated being the youngest in the group sometimes because of how many jokes he got about it.

  The Jack'o lanterns talked as they hung above the store doors. Ghosts rode around on brooms, scaring some people. People ran into and out of the haunted houses. Most were dragged by their friends. Third years just experiencing the houses we're daring the other to go inside.

  Jacey just sat on the bench next to Remus and James and watched Hogsmeade. It was perfect to watch. She had to enjoy it since she only had two years left at Hogwarts. Since it was already the end of October, the end was coming soon. She just didn't want to grow up.