fateful encounter | 2 ✔︎

You could hear a ceiling fan spinning above you as you slowly came back to your senses. Your eyes flutter open, and at first, you were met with a horribly blinding light, which caused you to immediately close them. You groan in discomfort as you placed the back of your hand over your eyes.

"Y/n!" A voice of a young lady suddenly yelled, and you heard as footsteps came frantically running over from across the room. Opening your eyes, slowly this time, you saw the face of an unfamiliar girl with bright blue eyes looming over you with teary eyes.

She immediately pulled you into a tight hug. "Oh, Y/n! I'm so glad you're okay! Thank the archons... " the young girl said, her tears beginning to soak your shoulder.

You awkwardly laid in silence as you listened to the young girl quietly sob. Honestly, you had no clue what to do, but you tried your best as you pat her back in an attempt to comfort her. But she quickly pulled away soon after, and your gazes locked as she looked at you with concern. "You hit your head really hard, Are you alright now? Do you remember what happened? Does anything hurt? I..."

The young girl continued to ask you more questions, and you weren't sure what to say or what was happening. Your mind was a fog, and you couldn't remember anything from before you woke up. It was all but a haze, an unclear and faded memory. Almost like you were just an empty shell.

"Who are you?" You asked.

And the moment those words left your mouth, you could tell by the expression on her face... that her heart dropped. "Huh?" The young girl uttered, her eyes widening again. She was speechless for a moment, with her mouth slightly a gap and confused. "You don't remember who I am?" She managed to speak, and you shook your head.

"Nothing at all?— Not even my name?— It's me, remember? I'm Ayaka!" The young girl asked, seeming desperate.

Ayaka? It wasn't a name you recognized.

"I'm sorry, but I don't remember who you are." You said, frowning a bit.

Ayaka clenched her hand tightly as her legs felt weak, causing her to slowly fall onto the ground. She took a trembling, deep breath and begun hiding her face with both her hands. "Oh dear, how could I let this happen?" She whispers to herself, and you could hear as she struggled to keep her composure.

You couldn't help but feel guilty as you watched as Ayaka's tried to keep her tears under control.

She sighed. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this... I shouldn't have let all my emotions split out so easily. I apologize." Ayaka explained, her tone now more soft and calm—  yet a hint of sadness still coated her wet blue eyes. "No, I'm the one who should be sorry!" You told her as you tried to get up, but your arms were shaky and you immediately failed.

"Don't push yourself!" Ayaka panicked, quickly standing up to help you lay back down properly. "And don't be sorry. I am the one who could've prevented this from happening, if only I had just been more attentive of you, Y/n." She stated.

"Y/n?" You questioned. Repeating the name Ayaka had spoke.

"Y/n is your name" she responded.

"Y/n is my name?"

Ayaka nodded with a comforting smile.

'Y/n.'  That was your name.

It felt odd to be told your own name, but It gave you sense of closure to know at least something now. "Ayaka, can you tell me what happened to me?"

. . .

"Have you heard about the incident at the festival?" a girl began gossiping... which caught the interest of a young boy near by— who happened to have overhear their discussion as he hides behind a wall.