A past memory | 17

"fly, fly away"

"like a bird in the sky"

"see the world on my behalf"

"to the heavens may you fly..."

Were the lyrics to a song that a bard from Mondstadt had once sung to you, on nice spring day where the Sakura trees begun bloom in Inazuma and many cheerful voices were heard from a distants, as a festival not too far from where you stood was crowded with people who celebrated the joyful day.

It was a little after sunset as he played the lyre under the moonlight, well he sat on a stone. The song he played was quite soothing as you quickly grew fond of the bard despite only hearing him play once.

"Did you come up with the song yourself?" your young self asked the talented singer after he finished his performance. He smiled at your curious expression, "no... a friend once sung this to me" he looked up at the night sky with a light smile.

You tilted your head a bit to the side, "where is he now?" you asked.

The bard hoped off the stone and begin to pat your head as he placed his finger over his lips.

"that's a secret" he said with a grin, making you a bit disappointed. "awee, I wanna know!" you whined. Then, randomly, a cold gust of wind blew your hair over your face. "ehe" he chuckled before crouching down to your height.

He tucked the hair that covered your face behind your ear, "_________________" he told you.

Back then, you were still only six and didn't quite understand what he meant.

"What?" You questioned.

"Are you going to go to the festival?" The bard asked, quickly switching the subject as he pointed over to a crowd of people who laughed and celebrated.

You glanced over to the direction he pointed in and wanted to go but— "no" you said without hesitation. "Mom and dad are leaving Inazuma soon, and I want to be there to say my goodbyes" you added.

The bard laughed at your stern expression, "hm, is that so? well you better hurry. It's getting quite late" he reminded you. Your eyes widened as you remembered, and you quietly gasp, in realization.

"Oh no, oh no" you panicked, "I need to go, I have to go. Bye mister, bye" You dashed toward the direction of your parents.

"Bye [name]" he waved you goodbye.

But you've never told him your name?

You glanced backwards to notice the bard was no longer there, how strange. But your young self payed no mind to it as you were distracted by your one goal to reach your parents, well partially almost already forgetting about the bard.

"Mom!!" You shouted with your small hands reach forwards as if it would bring her closer to you. "[name]?" She stopped to turned backwards with a suitcase in hand. "Don't leave yet!" You demanded well you rushed to hug her leg.

She smiled and placed her suitcase down before picking you up from under your arms. "Are you here to see me off?" she asked, soon noticing your frown.

"Awe don't worry it'll be alright" she reassured you as she picked you up and gently rubbed your back.

You dug your head into her shoulder as you wept, "why do you always keep leaving, and why during celebrations and festivals, I wanna be able to go there together.." you muttered.

She gave no response and Instead kissed your forehead, "you'll understand one day" she said.

Mom was always kind to you, and her heart was bigger then the sun. You loved her more then anything, you loved the way she would comfort, or the way she'd always gently smile at you.

Her presence was always enough to make your day. But, why does she always have to leave?

"It'll be okay" she calmed your quiet sobs before placing you back down. You wiped your tears off with the back of you hand as you sniffled.

"Is something the matter?" You dad came to check after noticing your mom still hasn't entered the boat, "ah yes, please give me a moment" she informed him.

He nodded and went back after noticing you were there.

"Come on now, don't cry. When your sad it makes mommy sad too" She looked back at you before crouching down. "Mom will be back soon" she reassured you, placing her warm hand on your cheek.

You looked slightly up, "promise?" You asked fidgeting with your fingers. She placed her pinky in front of you, "promise" she agreed. 

For a moment, your eyes lit up happily and you smiled as you wrapped your pinky around hers.

'Promise you'll be back'

Promise

"And let's go to the next spring festival together when your back!" You were filled with joy again, she chuckled and kissed you again on the cheek before getting up. "Don't forget that mom loves you" she reminded you as she picked up her suitcase in her left hand.

"Byebye, [name] loves you too!" You yelled back, but she didn't give a response as she walked away.

You'll wait

and wait,

Cause after all, all you've ever done was wait for them.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't do more for you"

➪𒊹︎this part was to provide more information about [name]
To hopefully clear up any possible future confusions
and some other things.

HEADCANON:  The Stone the bard sat on was on a Cliff