The Gods | 31

Art: @/ex1l1um
(Scaramouche lore spoilers!)

...
Just as Scaramouche expected. The traveler fell to their knees, struggling to stay conscious. He wasn't surprised. Because, just like all mortals... in the end, they always succumb to their anger. 'How foolish' he thought to himself as he slowly approached the traveler. 'Letting yourself get so worked up over a worthless human...pathetic.' Scaramouche wanted to say, but, he knew he was no different.

"My, Aren't you getting ahead of yourself" a familiar voice sang.  Harbinger's eyes were drawn straight to the figure walking up to him. Upon realizing who the woman in front of him was, Scaramouche uttered her name, "Yae Miko?" he mumbled

Haven't seen her in centuries, he was confused as to why she was here.

"What do you want?!" His voice suddenly became harsh and Yae could only chuckle. "Haven't you learned any manners when greeting someone?" She placed one hand on her hips as the other was opened in front of the harbinger. "I am here to make a deal." She revealed the palm of her hand.

"This..." Scaramouche stared at the gnosis in her hand with wide eyes.

A Gnosis... 'the heart of a god' was what Yae Miko had.

It resembled that of a chest piece, the same one the Fatui has been searching for, no. The Tsaritsa has been searching for. In other words, what he's been looking for.

Scaramouche glared at her. "Why do you have that?" he asked.

"is it a yes or a no?" she ignored his question, and the harbinger felt even more irritated but remained silent. As he carefully considered his decision, he stared at the object in Yae's hand.

He felt drawn towards the Gnosis. The missing piece of him. His heart. However, knowing the woman in front of him, who knows what she'd do? Yet, Scaramouche wanted to use this opportunity to his advantage.

Maybe more ways then one.

Cautiously, he reluctantly agreed, still uncertain of what trick the women would pull.

"Perfect-"

"But," he interrupted. "I want you to answer a question first" Scaramouche demanded.

"Oh?" she hummed.

Initially, Yae Miko was a bit curious about what Scaramouche had to say, but her smug look made Scaramouche feel angered, and he quickly changed his mind. He looked away, "Tsk, forget it," he said. "Give me the gnosis, take the traveler, and LEAVE." he crossed his arms.

Yae Miko looked at him and chuckled. She grabbed his hand and gave him the gnosis, "well, that's a shame." she gazed into his bright purple eyes that looked back in resentment. After a brief pause, she turned to back towards the Traveler, and Scaramouche watched as she walked away.

'Wait'  his mind called out.

He yearned to ask the woman a question but couldn't bring himself to. "Is it possible to save someone?"  The question he wanted to ask repeated in his mind. He looked down into his hand where the Gnosis was and frowned. Despite finally getting the 'heart' he wanted for so long, the Harbinger still felt like he needed something else. Something more, something to complete him.

"Wait!" Scaramouche accidentally blurt out, drawing the attention of Yae Miko to turn around. "is it...is it possible to save a dying human from an Illness?" he finally asked as he looked away to cover his face.

Yae Miko's eyes widened. She was completely caught off guard by the harbinger's question. It was the first time he had ever ask for her help, and her surprised expression soon turned into a smile. "Hm, it depends. What type of Illness is it?" she asked, wanting to know further into the certain individual he was talking about.

"I, uh" Scaramouche tried to find his words. He didn't even know what he was saying or why he was asking. He had spoken so suddenly, it even surprised himself. "Some... family thing— never mind." He immediately regretted asking.

"Family Illness? Hm, I've heard something similar before" Yae miko placed her hand under her chin and Scaramouches eyes quickly lit up, but he remained a stern face. "Back a couple hundred years ago..." she started as she glanced back at the harbingers eager eyes and warmly smiled.

"..There was a young women who came to the shrine begging for me to rid her of an 'curse', and by curse, was an Illness. She told me ever since her grandmother had been 'curse' by the gods, many people who shared her family blood begin to fall Ill and die. The people in Inazuma were beginning to notice and outcast their clan in fear." Yae miko explained as Scaramouche listened attentively.

"I tried to help but my powers alone weren't enough. Whoever this god who cursed them was, surpassed even my abilities. Comparably, I think it was almost equal to Ei herself. They would have to be someone as strong as an Archon to be capably of doing something like this." She sighed.

Something that of an Archon? Scaramouche looked down at his hand and realized what she was talking about. The Gnosis

"In the end, the girl passed away the following year and her clan eventually disappeared as well. Then again, this could be a complete different situation that's not related to what you're looking for at all, but for now, that's all I know of an 'family illness' "

After Yae Miko had finished speaking, it was silent, and looking at Scaramouche's eyes once again, they were now coated in worry, "haha, you truly are quite the interesting one." She couldn't help but laugh, and the harbinger quickly became annoyed again. Yae Miko continued picking up the traveler, and for a brief moment, The harbinger got lost in his thoughts again as he watched Yae Miko struggle to pick the traveler up.

"Whatever, the information is good enough" he mumbled to himself but she heard.

"Your welcome" Yae miko place the traveler over her shoulder. "If you really are trying to save this human you talk about. You would need a power greater then the one you have now, something that of an archon if it really is the same as the curse from back then..."

"WHAT? Who said I was trying to save someone?!" Scaramouche retorted.

Yae Miko ignored him and turned around to leave but as she looked back at the Harbinger she said something that Scaramouche heard.

"It appears that even a Puppet can fall in love" she commented.

"—NO I'M NOT!" He yelled but she had already left. "...I'm not in love" Scaramouche whispered to himself, his face slowly turning a bright red, "I'm not" he repeated, despite his feelings spoke otherwise.

"But, maybe..." Scaramouche shook his head. "Argh, it doesn't matter. I should go check on [name]"