Remorse | 23

Art credits: @kiyuronnn

Scaramouche stopped beside the door, hesitating on showing himself or not. You already rememebered, so there was no point on going back. The harbinger took a deep breath and walked the other way, but how could he face you like this? He was afraid to see you.

"I know you're there, Scaramouche" you spoke after hearing his footsteps.

"I̶ k̶n̶o̶w̶ y̶o̶u̶'r̶e̶ t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶, K̶u̶n̶i̶k̶u̶z̶u̶s̶h̶i̶"

He immediately froze before he could take another step away. For a moment, Scaramouche's eyes were widened as he was startled by your words. A line he was all too familiar with struck a nostalgic memory in his mind. Hide n seek, no matter where he went, you would always find him.

That's right, he can't hide from you.

"haha, you found me" Scaramouche admitted defeat as he walked into the room with his hands in the air, beside his head. "don't think you can run away from me," you pouted, glaring at him as were sat up against the wall.

"I know, I know.." he muttered before sitting down on a chair and looking down at his feet awkwardly.

Though he was facing you, he didn't want to meet your gaze, he didn't want to see you.

But, you quickly notice the tension the in room, "are you alright?" you curiously asked, trying to peek around his large hat that was covering his face. "Huh, what kind of question is that?" Scaramouche exclaimed, chuckling a bit to brush off your question.

You wanted to lift his head up, but your hands couldn't stretch far enough to reach him. You couldn't move, at least not without the help of others. "Scaramouche, can you past me that mask over on the table?" You pointed to your side as Scaramouche followed the direction of your index finger. "this?" he said, picking up a fox mask.

"Yup!" you happily said, well taking the item from his hand.

"thank you," you muttered quietly as you admired the design on the mask.

"here," you offered Scaramouche the fox mask. Yet again, he was caught off guard by your words, "this is for you.." you said as you gently placed the fox mask in front of him. The boys eyes slightly widened at the sudden gift he had just randomly received from a stranger.

Kunikuzushi hesitantly looked up, and you softly smiled as your gaze finally met his softened indigo eyes. "Why?" He asked, staring at you with a confused expression, his eyes glossy as tears slowly begin to well up. Remorse was written all over his face.

But, Scaramouche quickly flinched back as he noticed he was beginning to show weakness.

"what is it with you?" He said angrily as he quickly went to wipe his water coated eyes. "why are being nice to me? You should hate me by now." He didn't understand. A mortal like you shouldn't be so nice to someone like him. "I'm apart of the fatui, you know?" Scaramouche said. "I'm not even human either. I can easily kill you, aren't you afraid?" he admitted, hoping you'd change your mind.

But, as he tried to threaten you, you didn't feel intimated. You were glad that he told you the truth. "I know.." you said in a soft tone, "But, how could I hate you after everything you've done for me? Why would a 'bad' person take their time to care of someone as weak as me?"

"Scaramouche," You said, "do you really want me to hate you?"

Yeah, sure, I could care less. Is what he would say, but he couldn't bring himself to say it.

He was already hated by many, and nobody really cared about him. Therefore having just another person dislike him, wouldn't make much of a difference... Scaramouche looked down at the mask that laid in front of him and frowned, "I don't know," he answered instead, beginning to doubt himself.

But, honestly it doesn't matter if you either lose your memories or grow to hate him.

Clenching his fist, he looked to his side, "I just don't want you to get hurt, it'll troublesome.. for me" he muttered very quietly, which surprised you. He was never the type to admit he was concerned. "I wanted you to live a long, normal life." He added.

"A normal life, just like any other mortal." One that will grows up to be healthy, independent, and eventually have a family of their own. Marry someone else, someone who wasn't him. A life where he never existed in your world, A life where u were never involved with him, A life where you could be happy with another.

"[name], you know you're really persistent, right?" He chuckled, "you were suppose to move on after I left. Not this, I didn't want this." Scaramouche looked down as he ran a stressed hand through his hair, his hat almost falling off. "To live a long, normal life without you?" You questioned a bit, tilting your head to side.

"Why would I want to live my life without you? My only friend" you said, not comprehending what Scaramouche is asking for. He shook his head, "Only bad things will happen to you if you stay with me" He warned you.

"But, I want to live my 'normal' life with you."

He looked up, now facing you directly. The daylight reflected onto his burning eyes, making his eyes brighten a bit.

He didn't reply, there was only silence. Why were so stubborn? "I don't get it" his eyelids lowered as he once again glanced at the mask. "You know I'm apart of the fatui, so why do you still persiste?" He softened his tone, beginning to feel tired.

The wind outside of the window harshly blew onto the house walls. The tree branches scratching against close objects as the wind aggressively shook its leaves. "I'm not sure," you answered. "But, what I do know is that your a very dear person to me."