Chapter 18

"About a month and half after you left I began getting sick. Since the flu was going around I figured that was what I had. When I kept throwing up I went to the hospital. They ran a series of tests and determined two things. One I did have the flu and two that I was pregnant as well," Lynn whispered as she opened the box, pulled out the hospital papers and handed them to Sean. "They determined that I was about 7 weeks along and dehydrated. I stayed the night to get rehydrated and I sent out a group message to let you know that I was sick and in the hospital. I received nothing back even though the message said it was sent." She pulled out another paper and it was a copy of the text message she sent showing it was delivered and read but nothing was sent back. She handed it to Owen who looked at it and passed it to Axel.

"The following day I stayed at the house in bed to recover and hope that I would hear from one of you thinking you would be concerned about me being in the hospital, especially Sean but I received no phone call or text or anything. I solely focused on trying to stay hydrated and mentally prepare for telling you in person when you would come visit."

She picked up the sonogram pictures and kissed them while North wiped away a tear that slipped free. "The following week I had my first appointment and the lady took pictures for me. She said that everything looked good measurement wise for 8 weeks and then she performed an internal doppler thing and I got to hear the heartbeat." She took a shaky breath and opened the lock box. She pulled out a recording and pressed play. The sound of a fast heartbeat filled the room. After a couple of minutes silence filled the room and Sean took the recording from her. She got control of herself and wiped at her face. "Anyway she prescribed some prenatal pills and said everything was going along perfect I just needed to stay hydrated and rest since I was still recovering from the flu but she had no concerns. I once again tried to get ahold of you when I got back to the house since I was starting to have all day sickness and I was also starting to worry about not hearing from you since you promised to stay in contact. I sent out a couple of letters just in case you had to change your number and I received them back with Return to Sender written on them. I just figured that you had changed agents or something and it was just a crazy miscommunication and everything would be sorted out when you came home. I had asked the staff if they had heard from you when I was out and they all assured me that you had not called while I was gone and they hadn't heard from you. It was very concerning but I just kept telling myself you would come home soon and I would be able to tell you then."
"I'm so sorry Darling," Owen whispered, "We never received those texts or letters."

"In fact we sent you letters and also got back Return to Sender," Axel said placing their letters on the bed for her to see.

She reached over and pulled them to her. She ran her fingers over them and sniffled. "Then next week was okay, I was mostly just exhausted and nauseous all the time but I also cherished it since I knew it was a gift from one of you. I did think about having a DNA test once it was born but then I decided against it because something in me just told me that all of you would consider it yours no matter who the biological child was. On October first, when I was 9 weeks and 5 days I woke up in the most intense pain I could ever imagine. It was like I was being stabbed with a thousand fire pokers in the stomach. I began crying and doubled over in pain. I even blacked out and when I woke up I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital. They ran some tests and told me that I had miscarried the baby. They ended up having to perform a surgery because I was showing signs of internal infection and while undergoing the surgery, they found that I have severe endometriosis and had some cysts that were on the verge on bursting. They removed those cysts and told me that it would be near impossible for me to get pregnant again. They gave me less that five percent chance, they said my body just isn't capable of creating and carrying a baby. They were able to give me our little jelly bean and they were even nice enough to give me a tiny hospital band for it."

"What was it?" Luke asked all choked up.

Lynn held up the baby band and her wrist band and shook her head, "According to the doctors they are not able to tell the gender until ten weeks. With me being just two days shy at nine weeks and five days it wasn't possible to tell the gender just yet. Another doctor came in and held me while I cried. She pulled my emergency contact information which had Owen still listed and tried calling but she said it just said the number was no longer in service. I ended up calling my grandmother who came down and I wen to stay with her since I had slipped into a very severe depression. She and my great grandmother had to really watch me for the next few months. I did end up in the hospital a few days later from losing too much blood and had to have a transfusion. They prescribed me some Xanax but I ended up addicted to them. It was a very dark time honestly."

She pulled out the papers showing where the hospital tried to call as well as her family but that the numbers that were called were disconnected. She then pulled out the funeral home information and even the burial plot information.

"My grandmother and great grandmother gave me the plot next to my great grandfather and we had a private service. That is where our baby is and that is where I want to go. I want to see our baby," She said pulling out the funeral pamphlet and setting it down. She looked up and saw that every single man was silently crying now.

"Ok Darling," Owen said while wiping the tears thatslipped down his face, "Let's go."