~Chapter 8~

Sapnap P.O.V

What was I thinking? How could I have thought that nothing would change in 13 years? Stupid...

I sat leaning against the tree, my legs hanging off the side of the limb I was on. I didn't know how long it had been since I came here, but the sunset colors casting on the trees told me it was hours.

...I never said I had to stay. I only promised I'd come back, and I did. I kept my promise...it's not my fault if he forgot

I sat up a little to get a better look at the sunset sky though the trees.

I can leave tomorrow morning. I'll tell techno tonight, pack up my things on jeoffery,and leave here...and this time I will not come back, ever

I couldn't bare the pain anymore, knowing that the place I left no longer exists. I made up my mind as I started to climb down the tree trunk, landing on the forest floor. I looked around, but I couldn't remember where I came from: shit. I looked up through the trees and cold barely make out the outline of the roofed towers of the castle. I started walking in that direction, hoping the woods would become familiar soon.

(microscopic time skip)

Almost there. I think I came from here? wait no here, cause that rock had moss on it

I was starting to recognize some of the landmarks in the woods, but a small distant sound caught my attention, distracted me completely from my navigating.

I stopped for a moment, unsure if I actually heard anything at all. I thought I heard it again in that moment, but wasn't sure. I held completely still, holding my breath and listening closely to the woods. After standing for around 10 seconds, it came again. It was faint enough that I could not tell what the noise was, but loud enough for me to hear it.

What is that? An animal maybe? Why would it be so close to the castle?

It was coming from in front of me, but off to the side. In relation to the castle landmark, it was coming from somewhere behind it. I decided to follow it, letting my curiosity get the best of me. 

As I walked closer, the sound seemed to get farther...or maybe quieter? All I know is it was quiet for an unusually long time.

Dammit, whatever it was stopped. Great waste of my--

I turned around to find my way back...until I heard it. The sound came again, and this time I could tell what it was: a sniffle. Not one of an animal looking for food, but one of another human. I realized I was not alone in these woods anymore, but who was I with?

I carefully continued to the sound until it was right in front of me. I stood in front of a large bush wall with no way of getting through. I listened closely and heard another person behind it. I walked around the bush wall trying to look for an entrance. As I walked, I spotted an opening between 2 trees, slightly blocked by an old ant hill. I peered around the tree, careful not to alert whoever it was that I was there.

Wait..........Karl?

I was shocked to see karl, sitting huddled in the middle of a small clearing. He sounded like he had been crying. My heart sank a little for him, why was he so sad? I started to look around at the place from behind the tree. It was pretty enclosed actually: there was only this opening, and a huge bush in the other side; the whole place was overgrown with grass. I looked up at the tree tops, seeing some small beams of light come through and shine down right where karl sat. It all seemed so...familiar, and then it hit me

this place....this....this is

"our spot" I said out loud without thinking. Bad move, because karl's head shot up immediately and looked right at the tree I was peaking out from. I quickly ducked behind the tree, praying he didn't see me.