~Chapter 36~

No One's P.O.V

Sapnap walked into the warmth of the party, happier than he was when he left. He looked around the festivities with new eyes. He looked at his new friend with silent thanks. 

"Why don't I introduce you? I think you and karl would get along well" sapnap said with a smile

She hesitated before answering, "No, this is your time. You go be with him...I'll be around" She smiled. Sapnap nodded, and then walked down the stairs to the ground floor. The music carried on as he searched both the dancers and the crowd but no karl. A small pit formed in his stomach as he continued to search with no luck, remembering how sickly he looked just before he left. A small tap on his shoulder startled him, and he turned to see karl in front of him. He was relived, but he also didn't know what to say- he half expected to be ignored the whole night. He eyed his surroundings.

"If you're looking for Niki, she's with her boyfriend"

"Oh" sapnap stifled his excitement, "I'm...sorry" IN YOUR FACE PUFFY

Karl just waved his hand (Iykyk 💅) "She's happy, and that what matters." he smiled, "Besides, it was my moms thing anyway- we're just friends, and that's enough for me"

Sapnap nodded, not trusting that they weren't being watched.

"Listen, I'm sorry for earlier- the whole ignoring you, avoiding eye contact thing. My mom got in my head and I pushed you away and that was mean and I....." karl sighed, and shook his head, "I'm sorry"

Sapnap's eyes softened, "Hey don't sweat it B, it's ok. I told you I'm not going anywhere, I meant it"

Karl eyes lit up, and he hugged him. Sapnap returned the hug, holding him tightly. For the first time that night, they felt right. 

"Hey!" Niki and jack came up behind them, hand in hand. "Niki" sapnap greeted, letting karl go. "I have someone I want you to meet!" she said. She introduced jack formally and the group stood chatting for a while. From a far off corner, two dark figures stood unnoticed, eyes fixed on the group. "Time to go" one of them said, and they walked up the stairs out of sight.

"Excuse me! Could I have your attention!" niki's dad announced, and everyone paused their conversation and looked to the king on the banister. 

"I just wanted to thank everyone for making it out to celebrate my lovely Niki's birthday. Per her request, this last song is a slow dance. Enjoy and goodnight!"

The crowd clapped, as niki and jack made their way to the floor together. Karl clapped for them, and sapnap watched with a smile. This is your time, go be with him A sudden thought came to sapnap, and he eyed Karl curiously: does he feel the same? He glanced back and forth to make sure puffy wasn't around. Well, It's now of never. Squeezing karl's hand, he started walking after niki and jack. 

"Wait, where you going" karl pulled back

"Where does it look like? Out to dance" he turned to go again, "wait" karl pulled again "...it's a slow song"

"Yeah" He answered with baited breath

"You have to dance really...close" karl's expression and tone changed, like half way through he realized what he was saying. He looked down, not sure what to do. "And...um.." karl tried to speak, but nothing came out.

"Come on, I promise not to trip you again" he joked. Karl blushed and smiled, and with that he followed sapnap out into the floor just as the last song of the night started to play. 

(Song: Night Changes- piano cover : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0OX8MY5HYg)

The song started to play, and sapnap and karl bowed to each other before joining close together. Karls heart raced as sapnaps hand snaked around his waist. He found himself getting lost, as if he was detaching from reality the more he danced and looked at him.