~Chapter 39~

For anyone curious, I plan on finishing the book at 50 chapters. Might end sooner depending but yeah...10 more at most.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one's P.O.V.

Some time had passed, and the fireflies had long settled into the grass. Sapnap lay against the trunk of a large tree on the edge of the meadow, and karl lay on him twiddling with a piece of grass. Karl sighed deeply as he looked out at the field.

"You ok?" sapnap asked

No answer. "Bee?"

"Hm?" he looked back

"Whatcha thinkin about?"

There was a pause, "We were almost killed last night"

"Oh bee-"

"And she left anyway"

Sapnap stammered at the unexpected answer, "Who?"

"My mom. She had to have seen it, see us almost get crushed. She had to have known it wasn't safe...but she left me there anyway. I wonder if she even thought to look for me...or thought of me at all" his words were sad, but he was numb to the pain. 

Sapnap was silent, not defending what happened

"*sigh* whatever- still going to somehow be my fault when I go back" karl sat up and started picking at the grass in annoyance. 

Sapnap felt terrible for him- in that moment he just wanted to take all that pain away. He wanted to shield him from the world so that it would never have another chance to take his smile, his happiness away. Keep him far from everything and everyone who ever hurt him, and it would be just them.

I got it

"Karl" Karl barely looked over his shoulder at him

"Um... do you like it here?" sapnap asked awkwardly

"where?" karl frowned

"Here, like this.... *gesture outward* place- meadow, thing"

"Uh *small laugh* sure...yeah, I guess I like it" he turned a little bit so it was easier to see sapnap, "why?"

"Would you, want to...." how do you even ask this of a person?

Karl's furrowed his eyebrows "Want tooooooo.....what?"

"If I sta-...if you-.. we cou-" shit man, pull it together

Sapnap rolled his eyes, annoyed at himself for not being able to talk while at the same time not knowing what to say. Fuck it

"I want you, to stay here, with me"

Karls face softened.

"It's cracked- like major I know, but...this, is how it's meant to be, how it always should have been. Why do we have to suffer the consequences of a war that someone else started a second time? If they want to go to war let them, but we are not little kids anymore- we can chose to leave! I mean, we don't have to listen to anyone but ourselves here, we can do whatever we want- we can be who we want to be..."

He reached behind his neck and quickly untied the necklace, holding it in his hand. 

"love who we want to love"

Karls eyes widened and his hand went to his chest.

"I don't want to wait until tomorrow anymore- I want a lifetime with you. I want to be the one to cheer you up when you don't have it in you to smile. I want endless walks in the woods. I want never ending flower crowns. I want to share everything I have in this life, with you." He paused.