new interns

-2-

My eyes widen as I hear those words spew from my boss's mouth. "Huh?" Is all I can muster to say.

"Well butterfly, you and I are gonna be co-workers." The boy, Luke, raises his eyebrows.

"Why didn't he start when I did? We aren't hiring right now" I mumble, feeling a little... jealous? I thought I was special getting the only job. I knew we were supposed to have two interns but thought maybe- I don't know what I thought.

"Mix up with paperwork" Luke cuts in. "They accidentally put my work in the reject pile. When Flynn- or Ms. Taylor noticed I wasn't showing up for work, she personally reached out"

"And we are truly sorry for the misunderstanding" Reggie smiles.

"Well, Mr. Peters and I have some meetings. I hope you two will cooperate. Bye, my lovelies" Ms.Taylor grins while dragging Reggie out of the room.

"So butterfly-"

"Quit calling me that" I squint my eyes at him.

"Would you rather farfalla or papillon?" He smirks, glancing over at the guitar in the seat next to him.

"I don't know what those mean," I say softly. To this, he bursts out laughing.

"They mean butterfly in other languages, dumbass" He scoffs, grabbing the guitar and getting up.

"You can't call me a dumbass! That's... like harassment" I stutter, watching him walk towards the door.

Luke turns and presses his hip into the metal push bar of the double doors. "Alright. Won't call you a dumbass. Got it, butterfly" He winks before pushing his way out of the room.

Ugh, I hate him.

"Hey dad" I lean against the lockers in our staff room and let out a breath. My phone clutched in my hand while holding it to my ear.

"Hey Mija, how's my little rockstar?"

I laugh lightly and shake my head. "I'm an intern, not a musician"

"Potato, Patato. You're making music. How has your time there been?"

I let out a groan and take a seat on an armchair. "Well there's this guy, another intern-"

"I thought you were the only one"

"I was, then this new guy came around today. He's a total jackass" I groan, rubbing my temple.

"Just more competition to wipe out of the game. I've heard your work Mija, you're better than some boy"

A smile crosses my lips as the staff room door swings open. "He's not just some boy. He's like twenty-three and has an acoustic... like brought it to work" The smile is wiped off my face as Luke walks in with a backpack of stuff.

"So? He's a boy. He's a child. His brain hasn't fully developed" This makes me laugh. Thank god the phone isn't on speaker.

Luke opens a free locker and shoves a few things in. I hold a laugh at the rough nature of his actions. "Ok Papi, I should probably go if I want time to eat. Love you"

"Love y'a too. Talk later"

Luke laughs as the phone line dies and I stand up. "What is it now?" I scoff.