elevator maintenance

-14-

The drive to Lukes home is silent. Not a word is spoken or exchanged. It's full of tension and nobody dares to utter a word with Luke in this mood he's in.

We pull up to his house, his knuckles white from holding onto the steering wheel tight, "August, get out"

The boy just nods quickly before sliding out, not even bothering to say a goodbye of any sorts. "Luke, go easy on him"

"He should know better than to speak to women that way-" I give him a look which alone shuts him up.

"You don't get to try to be mister feminist here. He called me hot, you've called me worse" I roll my eyes and lean back as he starts the car up again and just starts driving.

"Like what?"

"First day we met" I look over at his intense stare on the grey gravel roads, "You called me a dumbass"

"Well, that was just a joke" Luke's voice goes quick and stammered, almost like he's trying to cover his ass.

I just roll my eyes at him, "It wasn't very funny at the time" Luke pulls up to a red light and looks over at me with a hint of remorse. "Take me to the studio. I left my purse there" Luke just nods.

The rest of the ride is silent. The roar of the engine and gears shifted occasionally but otherwise, not a word was spoken. It's almost like he was treating me like I wasn't there.

"Ill see you around" I mumble as I take a step out of the car. As I walk towards the doors, grabbing my key from my pocket because offs are the office is closed, I notice Lukes car engine stopped running.

I turn and see him stepping out, "What are you doing?" I ask him with a little bit of an agressive hint to my voice.

"I left my guitar in the office. It's Friday and I don't want to forget it" He shrugs as I push through the doors, holding it open for him as we walk in.

I look around and sigh. The studio so quiet and dark is somewhat eerie. It makes you shake and wonder what goes on behind closed doors or what lurks in the shadows. "You go get your guitar, my purse is just on my desk" I gesture my hand forwards and tap my foot.

Luke nods and walks forward. I lean against the reception desk when my pocket seems to buzz from my phone, getting a text message from a contact I often try to avoid.

 I lean against the reception desk when my pocket seems to buzz from my phone, getting a text message from a contact I often try to avoid

I look up at the cameras and roll my eyes before giving it a little wave. I knew she could access them from her phone. "Luke?" I shout.

"Yeah?" I see him walk out of the staff room with a cloth guitar case sling over his shoulder.

"Ms. Taylor wants me to check on the second floors studios. Can you help? It'll take forever" I groan and roll my eyes, walking towards the back elevator.

"Yeah of course" His feet carry him faster than my own, he gets their first and presses the up button, "I don't trust this elevator. It looks old"

I shrug and step in as it opens, "It works. I mean-" I look up and see the lights are a deep orange colour instead of a normal bright white, "It'll be fine" I shrug.

Once the door closes, we just stand in silence. Neither of us often go to the second floor because there's not much up there. A couple meeting rooms but mostly places for clients to work quietly without the employees bugging them. But that doesn't mean I've never been up here.

"Hey Luke?" I look over at him who's on the wall opposite of me. The elevator is somewhat large, it's carry capacity around 10 people.

"What?" He looks over at me and raises an eyebrow, placing his guitar against the wall beside him.

"We aren't moving. You pushed the button right?"

Luke looks at the panel and suddenly his eyes widen, "Yeah..." That's when the circuit board or whatever it is explods. Like literally explodes! Sparks fly out and the metal becomes dark and fried.

A scream escapes my lips as I cover myself with my arms, "Fuck, this isn't happening"

Luke looks over at me and rolls his eyes, "Nope. Nothings happening. Just sittin' in an elevator with my favourite person"

"Really?"

"No" Luke scoffs, "You're cool but not my favourite, butterfly"

"Rude" I mumble, taking a seat on the floor in the corner of the metal box, "So we're trapped in here?"

Luke steps forward and tries to pry the doors open, not a single bit of movement comes from it at all, "No, we're free to leave"

I scoff and lean my head back against the cold, dusty metal of the elevator wall, "You're full of sarcasm today aren't you?"

"I'm just mad" He groans. His fingers rake through his long hair as he turns his back to me, groaning in frustration.

"Did I do something?" I say softly as I stand up.

"YES!" He shouts, turning back to me. I'm taken back in all honesty. What have I really done to make him this distraught. What did I do to make him this upset?

"Why do you hate me so much?" I scoff as I lean against the edge of the elevator.

"THATS THE THING!" Luke shouts in another minute of agression, "I don't hate you and that's the problem"

"Then tell me! Because we both know we can't go on working together if you're going to keep getting moody and pulling shit like this! We won't work if this keeps happening Luke!" I shout at him.

"I THINK IM IN LOVE WITH YOU JULIE!"

Silence.

"This isn't some kind of childish love either" He continues at my speechlessness, "Whenever I wake up, you're the first person on my mind. When I go to sleep, I pray you sleep well. I keep extra food in my locker for you! Im not some kid who's blindly falling, I'm falling with my eyes wide open and hoping you catch me at the end because I love you"

I'm speechless. My mouth hangs open and I can't even manage to squeak out a sound. It's like Luke ripped out my voice and won't give it back.

"I don't care if you don't feel the same or if it's to early but I do. You make me feel ways nobody has before. You match my cocky personality, you put my in my place when I'm being a piece of shit, you drive me to be better. You make me a better producer" He places his face in the palm of his hands. "I'm in love with you and I'm hoping you feel the same way because I can't live another day knowing you're not mine"

I blink a couple times. Just blink. My heart hammers my ribcage and I wonder what a heart attack feels like, "Luke-"

"Stop it" He hangs his head and groans in disappointment, "Don't say anything" I take a couple steps towards him till our bodies are almost flushed. I look up, tilting my chin to make eye contact, "Julie please" Luke's voice is merely a whisper as our eyes meet.

"What if I want the same? What are you gonna do about it?"