starbucks

-5-

"Pardon me?" I force a laugh and raise an eyebrow.

"Write music together? Y'a know like... words on a piece of paper with melodies and harmonies and shit like that... that music?"

I roll my eyes and groan, "No no I mean... why me?"

I hear Luke scoff before hearing the familiar ding of the bell above the door at the office on his side of the phone, "I wouldn't PICK you if I had the choice. We're just working together on this project"

I roll my eyes, "Fucking prick" I mutter under my breath.

"I heard that"

"Well you are" I roll my eyes once again, "We can talk at work... tomorrow... after I drink the night away"

"Aren't you like ten? The fuck are you drinking? Apple juice?"

"I honestly hate you so much. It's been a little over a week and I largely despise you- no hate is the perfect word here"

"Oh shut up. You love me" He laughs which just makes me roll my eyes even heavier, "Stop rolling your eyes at me Butterfly"

"How'd you-"

"You're constantly rolling your eyes at me. Don't worry Butterfly, I've picked up on your habits"

I clench my jaw and roll my eyes again, "I need to go do something"

"Do what?" I can hear the cheeky smirk on his lips.

"Get away from the pest on the other side of the phone. Piss off Luke" I groan, hanging up the phone and slamming it face down onto the counter.

I grab my glass of wine and fall onto the couch with a groan. My back loudly cracking as it makes contact with the soft pillows. I grab the remote, turn on some of 'The Office' and watch it. I grab my phone, order some food and turn back to the TV.

Let's get drunk, shall we? We shall.

the next day

Carrie sits at the table with me and the rat from yesterday, head in her hands with a drawn-out groan, "This is impossible" She crumples a piece of paper and tosses it into the garbage.

I tap my pen against the table and hum an upbeat melody, "Luke" I groan as a crumpled paper hits my forehead.

"That's my name, don't wear it out" He chuckles, turning back to his stack of papers.

I roll my eyes before inspiration hits, "Carrie what was that line you wrote?" I ask, shuffling through some papers on the table.

"Uh... which one?"

"About the... I dunno like the one about the shadows?" I ask as I find what I was looking for.

"My little butterfly's got inspiration" Luke hums with his pen in his mouth, ew. 

I hum the melody I was thinking of earlier and write down the lyrics, "What about this for a pre-chorus?" I slide the paper over to her. "And like after- like here and here we can layer the vocals. It would sound... incredible with your voice"

Carrie bites her lip and smiles, "I love it"

I giggle softly and nod, "You have no clue how much it means to hear that from you"