touchdown

-13-

"Why exactly are we going to a football game?" I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms as

Luke taps his fingers against the steering wheel and laughs, "I may or may not have forgotten that my sibling has a game today" His teeth cringing together. 

I raise an eyebrow, "Oakley or August? You have two brothers right?"

"Well- my amount of brother is complicated but, Oakley" Luke forces a smile of sorts as he leans back, "August hates physical activity but is grateful Oakley is"

"What do you mean?"

"Ok well, Oakley and August share a body... it's complicated. You know DID? Dissociative identity disorder?" He looks over.

I just shake my head, "No"

Luke swallows and breathes out, "Heard of multiple personalities? The movie Split? His brain stores trauma separately, making him have multiple distinctive personalities" He pauses, "Thought you should talk to him about this"

I nod, "Got it" My fingers tap against the door handle, "And you're bringing me to this game... why?"

"It's that or leave you in that dinner. Besides, Ms. Taylor won't care and Carrie said she's taking this week off"

"How'd you know she's taking the week off? I didn't see any emails about that" I question.

"Oh, we just went out after work a couple of times. She's quite enjoyable to-"

I stick my fingers in my ear and make a ''la la la la' type noise with a scrunched up face. "As legal as this is- no"

"What?" He's confused for a second before he lets out a small laugh, "You don't want to hear all the nitty-gritty details about my passionate sex life with our nineteen-year client" Luke teases, laughing his ass off.

"Please tell me you're joking" I plea, wincing at the thought of Luke and Carrie- ew.

He laughs and shakes his head, "Never. I will never deny my true and undying love for Carrie and how good she makes me feel in the late evening"

"You're disgusting-"

"The way she holds me tight"

"Lucas" I groan as he keeps talking over me.

"All the amazing things her mouth-"

"OK" I shout as we come up to a red light, "Ok I get it. You and Carrie and passionate lovers who fuck like rabbits"

Luke flashes me a genuine smile and a laugh, "Nah, she's just great company. Talk a lot and such"

Both of us create a chorus of laughter which just feels incredible. "We're here by the way" He nudges my arm as we pull up to a large stadium.

"This is huge for a high school football game" I mumble. The two of us walk into the bleachers and take our seats after making our way through the stairwells to our front-row seats.

This stadium is huge and packed. It's not as big as an NFL game but larger than what I know my high school budget was for renting out spaces. 

I lean over to Luke and kinda laugh. "I don't understand football" I whisper.

Luke rolls his eyes with a little laugh as he leans over, "Basically, you bring the ball into the other teams' end zone"

"What's an end zone?" I whisper back, laughing.

"The area at the end. It's in the name, Butterfly" Luke pushes my shoulder and we both laugh. "Just watch and enjoy"

I laugh and nod, resting my head against his shoulder. "You cold?" Luke asks, laughing as I shake slightly.