Chapter 4

"Satsujin-kun! You're studying again? My goodness. You should really take a break once in a while, you know. You're already smart enough as it is." Suyuki-chan scolded me as I read a reviewer I created for the finals exam this upcoming week. I have to review for this finals exam otherwise... I'm going to lose to Uesugi-san again. I'd die first before I'd let that again. No way I'm losing to him this time.

I didn't pay attention to Suyuki-chan and continued reviewing. I could see her in the corner of my eye, pouting as she crosses her arms. I could see her slowly inch herself towards me, clearly about to grab my reviewer. Of course, as a reaction, I immediately pulled my reviewer away and continued reading as I watch her fall flat on her face.

"You're no fun. You know that?" She says as she dusted herself and started walking away. I wanted to stop and talk to her for a bit but every inch of my body says that I have to review in order to beat Uesugi-san. He has been on top for a long time now and I'm not gonna let him take the lead any further.

***

The results of the finals finally came through. I looked at my placement in the bulletin board posted near our classroom and to my surprise... I still wasn't at the top of the class. I clenched my fist as I saw I was still second to Uesugi Fuutarou-san. Am I always going to be his shadow? "Whatever. I give up." I mumbled as I walked away from the board.

I sat at a bench at the playground and watched the kids play with their friends. So this was what I was missing out on when I so focused on studying for the exams. I saw all of them smiling and laughing. "Tch." I scoffed at the kids who were playing. Who needs to play when they can't even answer a simple question in the exam. Honestly, why are people so stupid.

"Don't you wanna join them? They don't bite you know." I heard a familiar voice said. I turned around and to my surprise it was Suyuki-chan. I scoffed at her and started walking away but abruptly stopped.

"Why are they so happy? Some of them haven't even passed the finals exam and they have the audacity to run around and play like nothing happened. Honestly, what the heck?" I asked her as I clenched my fist even tighter, clearly frustrated with the questions running in my mind. Aren't they afraid of the future. Failing exams like that and still have the guts to play. Some kids really are something I guess.

"It's because they're contented." She simply answered which took me aback. Her answer even made me look at her. She smiled at me. It was one of the warmest smile I have ever seen in my life. "They know they did their best. A high grade or not... they know that's their best and that's why they can still smile through it because at the end of the day all of us are the same." She added.

"The same? I am nothing like anyone here in this playground. I'm top two of the entire school for crying out loud. None of you can ever compare to that." I said, sternly but even though I said those hurtful words she still smiled through it. Like it didn't even matter.

"But you're still a student right? Just like us. Top two or not we're all still learning. In the end, we're all still students." She said, maintaining the warm smile she had earlier. A sudden hit of realization hit me as she says those words. I didn't wanna make it obvious that I'm admitting I was wrong so I started walking back towards the school. Who does that girl think she is? Lecturing me about that kind of stuff like I don't know about it already. I'm not top two for nothing, you know?

"Satsujin-kun! Where are you going?" I heard her call me again. Does this girl ever give up? She's starting to get on my nerves.

"What do you want from me?" I irritatingly said as I looked back at her. "And why are you calling me by my first name? We're not even that close. You're just my classmate. Nothing more." I coldly added. It was true though. During this period in time, we weren't exactly close. Honestly, during this time I don't have any friends. Even Fuutarou-kun.