Cold Metal

Steven and the others walked cautiously into the left hallway of the core, making sure to keep an eye out for any potential dangers. As they walked along the faintly lit corridor, the cold making them shiver, they heard a faint dragging noise behind them. A maniacal laugh flooded the hallway. Steven turned around in surprise and saw a large metal knight dragging a massive staff behind her, and a smaller monster with a hat covering his eyes. In a grumbling voice, the knight rumbled, "Good knight..." She swung the massive staff at Peridot, who ducked and scrambled behind Amethyst. "Help!" she squeaked. The floor shook as the knight stomped its foot. The little magician behind it scurried around and sent balls of fire at Greg, whose beard caught on fire. He yelped, "AUGH!", and desperately patted it to try and put it out. 

Suddenly, a stream of water hit Greg, extinguishing his beard. Another water strand curled around the massive knight and smaller magician. A figure emerged from the shadows. "Don't touch my friends." the figure said. She stepped into the faint light of the corridor, her blue hair swaying from an unknown breeze. The knight's metal armor creaked as it was squeezed tighter by Lapis's water. "Leave us be and you won't be hurt," Lapis instructed the monsters. She dropped them, and they ran down the hall and disappeared from sight. Steven ran and hugged Lapis, who appeared relieved. "I've been wandering around this area since I got here, most of the doors were locked so I couldn't get out," she told Steven. Steven started to speak and then was interrupted by his phone ringing loudly in his pocket again. He answered, and listened as Alphys stuttered, "I-i'm so so sorry, I didn't e-expect those t-two!" She sighed over the phone, clearly anxious. "J-just head up the corridor, I guess". Lapis stared inquisitively at the phone. "Who is that?" she asked. "I'll explain later," Steven reassured her. 

The gems walked up the corridor, their footsteps clinking against the metal floor. Pearl and Lapis trailed in the back, Pearl updating her on their journey. The group walked until they found a switch on the wall. Peridot hesitantly reached her hand up and flipped it. A flicker from the side made all of them jump, as a field of lasers blocked their path. "What are we supposed to do, Alphys?" Pearl asked the phone. "W-well, I think you have to stay still for all of them!" Alphys said. Lapis looked around. "Do you all trust the voice on the phone?" Steven and the others nodded. Alphys remained silent. 

The group took a step out onto the platform and held completely still, trusting Alphys. The lasers passed through without fault, until the last one hit all of the gems (and Greg), half of the group falling to their knees. Steven felt like the wind had just been knocked out of him. Alphys gasped, "I-i'm so sorry!! I g-genuinely thought t-that was the a-answer!" Her stuttering had significantly increased from anxiety. Stomach still aching, Steven panted, "It's fine, Alphys, our health was ok before anyways." His words seemed to instill new confidence in Alphys. "O-ok! This time, stay still f-for the first two, and move on the last one!" she exclaimed. 

The gang moved forwards, once more. Lapis braced herself visibly, still unable to bring herself to trust Alphys, who was only a stranger to her. Exactly as instructed, the gems stood completely still and then moved forward. The lasers passed safely over them. The group dashed forwards, feet banging on the ground loudly until all of them made it to the other side. Alphys let loose a breath she was holding in, relieved. "O-ok, continue up the hall and go to the r-right," she told them. The bunch traveled a bit further up the hallway and then halted as another group of lasers burned brightly in front of them. "I think I-I can turn them off this time!" Alphys declared confidently. Various typing noises came from the small phone, and the lights flickered and were diminished with a click! The group started to move their way through the narrow walkway. Peridot complained as she was squished close to the edge. "So help me, if you push me off of her, I'll-" her complaints were cut short as Alphy shouted, "FREEZE!". Everyone stood completely still, as blue light surrounded them. 

The lasers had turned back on, with the gems in the middle. "That's w-weird," Alphys muttered. "I-it shouldn't have done that. Hold still, and then run when the lasers f-flicker off. I think I can delay it j-just long enough to h-help you." Alphys instructed. Greg started to make a thumbs up, and then realized he had to stay still and froze again. The group inched their way through the lasers, the walkway flickering blue from the soft light. Amythest collapsed on the floor after they were through the lasers. "This is STRESSFUL!" she shouted. "T-there'll be time to rest soon," Alphys reassured her from the small device. Alphys got to her feet, grumbling and brushing off her pants. "Everyone just remain calm, we've gotten this far!" Pearl reminded everyone. Steven nodded. He made his way to the front and gestured everyone to follow him. "It'll be ok." he comforted the group. Another walkway appeared as the group made their way through the Core. 

Several monsters sat on the walkway, their beady eyes staring at the gems and Greg. A Froggit with a crown, an Astigmatism, and a Whimsalot wearing a knight's outfit watched them from afar. Greg tilted his head, "That's kinda creepy, the way they're staring" he noticed. Amythest groaned. "This is gonna take so long, having to talk to all of them." She perked up, realizing something, and turned to Pearl. "Hey, fuse with me!" she chirped. Pearl asked, "For what?" "We can block off this bridge, right?" Amythest said. Pearl nodded, "I suppose so, with the arrows Opal has..." Amythest grinned. "We could just carry everyone to the other side, and block off the entrance!" Pearl looked resigned. "I supposed that would be the best way to do it." She put her hands up, slowly swaying them. Amythest started dancing too, flipping her hair and moving her hips. Pearl looked annoyed. They started to dance faster and faster, Pearl elegantly sweeping her feet across the floor, and Amythest aggressively moving her hands around. The two grew closer to each other, and a bright white light enveloped them. 

Opal appeared out of the light gracefully, staring down at the un-fused gems below her. She reached down and grabbed Lapis and Peridot under her arms. Then, she lightly stepped over the monsters at the bottom of her legs, who were desperately attempting to engage in battle, but to no avail. Opal gently set Lapis and Peridot down on the other side of the chasm, repeating the steps for the other people in the group. Steven glanced downwards on his turn as she carried him. The monsters had stopped even trying to attack them and just stared up at Steven, who waved hesitantly. 

Eventually, everyone was on the other side, and Opal drew her bow. The monsters flinched, expecting her giant arrows to be shot at them. However, Opal aimed her bow at the ground, and three huge arrows embedded themselves in the metal floor, the beams creaking, forming a barrier between the group and the monsters. The monsters made no attempt to follow them and instead seemed to be conversing among themselves, glancing at the group. 

The rest of the group headed into the darkness, but Steven stayed behind, watching the monsters. The Froggit hopped close to him, and Steven moved backward a little, expecting it to attack him. Instead, it croaked, "Please...let us see the light again." Steven hesitantly nodded. "I'll help in any way I can," he responded. The frog seemed satisfied and hopped back towards its friends. "Steven!", Peridot called from the halls. Steven scrambled to his feet and rushed off to go and join his friends.