Quiz Time!

(m u s i c)^

Steven stared at Mettaton, not sure what he was seeing. The robot was at least 7 feet tall and possessed a flashing screen that changed its design every couple of minutes. The robot looked Steven up and down. Alphys stuttered, "M-Mettaton! These are just.... the new robots that I made? ? ?" She gestured to the gems. Mettaton looked skeptical. "Tut-tut Alphys! Lying to me? I expected better of you!" 

He turned to the gems. "Would you like to play a quiz, darlings?" Peridot retorted, "I think we'll pass." Mettaton paid no attention to her. "Quiz time it is then!" He chuckled. "Now, all of you must pick the same answer and work together!" The gem's souls floated their way into a block box with four boxes. A question appeared in the black box. Mettaton wagged his finger at Amythest, who stuck her tongue out at him. "First question! What is the prize for answering correctly?" Steven floated towards the "More questions" box. "Guys! It doesn't seem like he's gonna spare us! This one!" he shouted. Everyone except Peridot floated towards Steven. Amythest shouted, "Peridot! What are you doing?"

Peridot hovered over the Mercy button. "I think it's this one! Every other monster has spared us!" Steven cried, "Peridot! No!" Peridot pushed the button. A volt of electricity hit her out of nowhere and depleted her health halfway. All the other gems were hit likewise with the bolt. Pearl looked furious. "YOU NEARLY KILLED US BECAUSE YOU WOULDN'T LISTEN!!!" Peridot wearily floated over to the group. "Sorry..." she mumbled. 

"Next question!" Mettaton declared. "What is the King's full name?" All the gems floated towards Asgore Dreemur. Steven pushed it, bracing himself for a volt of electricity that didn't come. Instead, confetti burst out the side and sprayed over the gems. The gems worked together for the next couple of questions, getting all of them right. 

A longer question appeared on the board. "Two trains, Train A, and Train B, simultaneously depart Station A and Station B. Station A, and Station B are 252.5 miles apart from each other. Train A is moving at 124.7mph towards Station B, and Train B is moving at 253.5mph towards Station A. If both trains departed at 10:00 AM and it is now 10:08, how much longer until both trains pass each other?" it read. 

The gems stared at each other nervously. Steven glanced at Pearl. Pearl shrugged helplessly as she desperately tried to figure out the question. Amythest looked around and noticed Alphys, who was making an odd gesture with her claws. It looked like a D? Amythest shoved everyone towards the D, despite protests from the others, and pushed that answer. Confetti shot out of nowhere. Amythest turned towards the gems and whispered, "I think she's giving us the answers." 

The gems all turned and looked at Alphys, who was already frantically gesturing the next answer. They all nodded in agreement and began to follow the letter her claws shaped each question.  That is until Mettaton asked a question that pertained to Alphy's favorite anime. Clearing his throat, which sounded like nails rattling around inside of him, Mettaton boomed, "In the dating simulation video game "Mew Mew Kissy Cutie" what is Mew Mew's favorite food?" Breaking her silence, Alphys excitedly raised a class in the air and waved it around. "OH! OH! I KNOW THIS ONE!!! IT'S SNAIL ICE CREAM!!!!!!!! IN THE FOURTH CHAPTER EVERYONE GOES TO THE BEACH!!! AND SHE BUYS ICE CREAM FOR ALL OF HER FRIENDS!!!! BUT IT'S SNAIL FLAVOR AND SHE'S THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS IT!!!!!! IT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITE PARTS OF THE GAME BECAUSE IT'S ACTUALLY A VERY POWERFUL message about friendship and......"  She trailed off, looking sheepish and awkward. "Oops." Mettaton (glared??) at her with his screen. 

"Now, Alphys, you wouldn't be helping our contestants, by any chance, would you?" Alphys shook her head frantically. Mettaton gave an evil laugh and said, "Ooh! You should have told me! I would have asked a question, you would surely have known the answer to!" He snapped his fingers and the question, "Who does Dr. Alphys have a crush on?" Alphys, panicking, stared at the gems, shaking her hands to stop them. Steven slowly floated towards 'Undyne'. Everyone guiltily followed. 

Pearl pressed the button. Mettaton laughed. "See, Alphys! I told you it was obvious! She writes (fanfiction) about the two of them, names coding variables after her, writes her name in her notebook..." He laughed. "You two would make an ADORABLE couple if I do say so myself!" Alphy turned beet red, hyperventilating. 

Mettaton's screen faded slightly. "Well! I suppose! We cannot go on like this! There's no tension! Drama, bloodshed, romance! Come back next show! Until next time, darlings!" 

He folded his arms into his body, and blast off through the ceiling, raining debris on the gems. The gems stood, too shocked to say anything. Finally, Peridot broke the silence. "I thought he meant something like Jeopardy."