The Ruins

(more music)^

Steven and Peridot walked along until they came to a bake sale. A spider came down and held up a sign that said that it was 7 gold. Steven bought one, despite Peridot telling him that it looked disgusting. He took a bite. It was surprisingly good!

They wandered a bit farther among the ruins, stepping around bigger leaf piles where monster could be waiting to ambush them. They came upon a smaller hallway, with a nearly transparent being laying in the center of it. Steven and Peridot walked over curiously to it. It was a ghost, laying on the ground. Neither of the gems had ever seen a ghost before. Steven gently poked it. Suddenly, the ghost popped up in front of them. "AHhh!" The gems yelled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1bfhtKsHM -- music for battle

Their souls flew out in front of them. The ghost stared blearily at them. "I'm Napstablook, who are you?" he puzzled. "Actually, its fine, you don't have to tell me, I don't want to be pushy... sorry." He stared down at the ground and started crying. Steven panicked, he chose to Act. "Ahh don't cry! It's fine! Napstablook is a very nice name, I'm Steven and this is Peridot!" Napstablook smiled a bit. Steven and Peridot frantically dodged his tears. "This is a very nice spot you have here!" Peridot said, desperately trying to placate him. Napstablook looked up at her, and smiled. "You really think so?" he said. "I know so, and you seem very nice!" Peridot smiled. A teardrop hit her on the foot and she grimaced, but kept smiling through the pain. Napstablook's smile grew larger. "you wanna see something?" He cried a little bit more, and the gems prepared to dodge. However, this time, his tears flew UPWARDS and formed a little hat. "I call it Dapper Blook." he said proudly. "Its great!" Steven told him. Napstablook looked happy. 

"Usually I come to the ruins because there's nobody here...but today I met somebody nice!" Napstablook told them. "Thank you..." he faded away. Peridot looked at Steven and shrugged. "He seemed nice, maybe we'll see him again." Steven nodded in agreement, and they kept walking.

Steven and Peridot wandered through the hallways, looking at their surroundings. They completed a few puzzles, and then moved on to a large leaf pile. Peridot took a step, and promptly fell through the leaves. "Ow." Her voice said from down below. Steven peered at the ground. Peridot was sprawled upon the floor. "Are you ok?" he asked.

"I'm fine!" Peridot squeaked angrily. "Just got the wind knocked out of me, that's all." She trudged up a staircase and appeared beside Steven once again. Steven poked a leaf pile with his toe. It seemed solid enough. He took a wobbly step onto it. The two of them proceeded like this, cautiously stepping their way across the chasm. 

Steven took a step. They were in the middle of the leaf pile now. Suddenly, the smell of burning and gasoline and death hit Steven's nose. He immediately blacked out. Vaguely, he could hear and feel Peridot, as she tried to hold him up. "Steven? Steven! Are you ok?" 

Steven faded into a different reality. Wait, no. It was the same place, only bodies were strewn next to the walls and dust layered the leaf pile. In the midst of it, a small girl stood, giggling, as she surveyed the damage. "They just couldn't stop trusting people, could they?" she asked Steven, without looking at him. "With their trusting nature, I got SO much love." She mockingly put a hand up to her mouth, and gasped. "Oops! Wrong kind of LOVE."

She stared across the destruction. "If only I wasn't just a spirit... That FRISK wasn't a weak enough puppet for me... She just HAD to go and Spare everyone, didn't she? Never listened to a word I said."  She laughed quietly. 

"But..." She concluded. "YOU won't fail me, now will you?" She turned her face toward Steven. Now that  Steven could properly see her face, he was horrified. Her eyes were red, and she was crying black tears. Her side of her neck was spattered with dust and blood, and Steven had the feeling that none of it was hers. 

She advanced on him and  drew her knife. She drew her finger along the side of it, and a bead of blood inched out of her finger.  "Now... promise you won't fail me? Kill every monster in the underground, until it looks like THIS." she rasped, and gestured to the room. Steven summoned all his courage and declared, "No, I can't hurt all these innocent people!" 

The girl considered this. "Very well, have it your way. However... it will be interesting to watch... Will you let them kill you? Or will you go mad and slaughter them all? How fun!" she said, a slight lilt to her voice. Steven growled, "I'll do neither! I'll escape in peace!" The girl's expression narrowed. Her eyes overflowed with black liquid. 

She thrust her knife against Steven's throat. "Good luck, OUTSIDER." She drew the knife across Steven's throat, and just as he could feel the cold metal, he woke up.

Steven jerked awake. He was in a soft bed, with pillows surrounding him. A steaming piece of pie lay on the floor on a plate.

He slid out of bed and felt his throat. He was okay. He picked up the piece of pie, and swallowed a couple bites. However, it was quite early in the morning, so he put the pie down, and crawled back into bed. Steven fell into a dreamless sleep, feeling alone for the first time that day.