vi.

chapter six.

"Isobel?"

Matthias was never more thankful that he had been in the shadows. He had heard of her before, an annoying vampire groupie looking for legends that weren't any of her business. Not that Matthias really had to worry about her, she was a cocky vampire and far too full of herself.

"Katherine said Isobel could have some answers and I just have a couple questions, that's all." Stefan explained to the two of them.

"Wait, when did you speak to Katherine?" Elena asked him with narrowed eyes as she made herself a drink with vervain in it.

Stefan winced slightly, something that Matthias didn't miss as he smirked. "You went to the tomb when I was inside, didn't you?" Stefan glared at him to shut it, but Matthias wasn't afraid of him. "That's why Katherine was gone for some time and when she came back, there was this smile on her face that was creepy."

"Stefan, I made a deal with Elijah." Elena reminded him before drinking the tainted water.

"Right, you made a deal with him. I didn't make one. You should keep your deal." Stefan told her.

Elena gave him a look and walked towards him, "Stefan, I don't want anyone else to get hurt."

"When have I ever wanted somebody to get hurt?" He asked her seriously.

"Well, if something goes wrong, and Elijah feels like you're threatening his deal, a lot of people are bound to get hurt here." Matthias spoke up, reminding the ex-couple that he was still there.

Elena took a step away from Stefan, a gesture that he didn't miss and frowned at. He looked between Elena and Matthias for a moment, and he couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealously and disappointment grow within him. He didn't want to lose Elena, but he understood why they had broken up in the first place.

Even with Katherine locked in the tomb, they had yet to talk about their relationship and he wondered if they ever would.

Elena sighed and tilted the glass in her hand. "Vervain. I made it light, but are you sure?" She asked Stefan. "Just because Katherine build up a tolerance–"

"Yes." Stefan cut her off, taking the glass from her hand. "Bottoms up." He takes a sip of the drink and Matthias almost wanted to laugh when Stefan started to cough and fall to his knees.

Matthias put his fist in his mouth to keep from laughing and Elena shot him a look before speaking. "Are you okay?" Elena asked as Stefan slowly stood to his feet.

Stefan nodded his head, "Yeah."

Elena looked at Matthias, a look of confusion on her face. "How can Elijah compel another vampire?"

Matthias smiled at her, "Now there's a question you haven't asked me yet."

Elena rolled her eyes at him and gave him a look, but he could see the ghost smile dancing on her lips. "Do you know?"

"He's an original." Stefan spoke up, pulling the attention off of Matthias. "I don't really know what that means. I don't think anybody really knows what that means. Well... except maybe Isobel. I'll make sure to ask her." Elena was about to protest when Stefan suddenly kissed her before leaving the room.

Matthias clapped while Elena was confused. "I didn't think he had it in him." He joked and Elena gave him another look. "What? I thought you guys were still on the outs."

"We are." Elena told him with a frown. "Which is why I don't get why he kissed me."

"He loves you Elena." Matthias told her and the words tasted bitter coming from his lips. "It's obvious that he wants to be together again."