xii.

chapter twelve.

Matthias hated that he had left Elijah's body behind, but he couldn't bring it with him, there wasn't enough time. He entered his apartment with a slam of his door, the pieces of Klaus' art hanging on the wall shaking from the force. He had compelled himself a place and thankfully had it under someone else's name so that no vampire can enter without being invited in.

He paced the floor and ignored the ringing of his phone, he couldn't deal with that right now. He hated this feeling in his chest, this feeling of guilt, something he's never felt before. This was why he stayed out of the spotlight, why Klaus handled everything and not him. He let out a shout of frustration and threw the nearest thing at the wall.

He didn't even flinch when the sound of glass shattering filled the apartment. He let out pants as he fell to his knees and let his head fall into his hands. He had gotten attached to this fake role, to Elena freaking Gilbert. He let out a bitter laugh and walked over to the door, the thought of leaving seemed fitting but when he found Katherine on his doorstep he froze.

Elijah was daggered and thus she was free of his compulsion.

Matthias quickly pulled her into his arms and Katherine let out a breathless laugh as she hugged him back. He held her close, and Katherine could feel that something was wrong but bit her tongue.

After hugging for a while longer, Matthias walked down the hall and knocked on his neighbors door. The kind old man immediately remembered Matthias due to his compulsion and invited Katherine into the apartment before Matthias left him be.

Entering the apartment, Katherine took note of the shattered glass and bit her lip. She knew that Matthias was angry from the mess alone, he was never one to make a mess and not clean it up immediately, unless he was angry.

"They found out." She said and it wasn't a question, more of a statement.

"I fucked up." He told her with a bitter laugh as he poured himself a drink, something that also surprised Katherine.

Katherine sighed and walked over to Matthias, she took the glass of alcohol from his hand and set it down on the counter. "Admit it, you're in love with her."

Matthias stilled at the accusation made by his best friend. Love? He didn't even know what that was. He knew that he possibly had a crush on Elena, but love? Had he fallen in love in such little time that he spent with her and everyone else? Had he been blind to the signs?

"I've never been in love before, I don't even know what that it!" Matthias dismissed sharply and Katherine rolled her eyes. "Love? Don't be ridiculous Katerina."

Katherine took a step back from Matthias, he had used her birth name. Klaus and Elijah only ever did that, whenever Matthias used it he was always pent up with anger. Katherine looked him over and noticed how his muscles were flexing, how his jaw was clenched as he down the drink in one go, and how pissed he looked to be.

"What happened tonight?" She dared to ask him.

Matthias let out a sigh and told her everything. He told her how Tyler and some man, Brady, attempted to take Elena or kill her so that they could break the curse placed on them. He told her how Stefan arrived unannounced and killed his entire mood, something that made Katherine smirk, but she hid it behind her hand.

He told her about how he didn't know Damon was planning on taking down Elijah when they were talking about it. He was in the dark about it until he learned from hearing Stefan tell Elena about it. Then he told her how he had to dagger his own brother before disappearing without Elijah's body.

"They have him?" Katherine asked and Matthias didn't miss the emotions that flashed through her eyes.

Anger and sadness both mixed together, never a good mixture with Katherine, but there was a flicker of concern for what they could do to her boyfriend or well ex-boyfriend.

"I couldn't bring him." Matthias sighed, "There was no time." He shook his head in annoyance. "In any case, I've blown my cover and don't have a plan."

Katherine smirked at him, "Well it's a good thing that I do then." He laughed and felt all the tension leave his body, something that happened whenever he was with her. "But I should also mention that I called Klaus."

The smile on his face fell and he felt his heart sink. That's right, his brother was coming. He was going to kill Elena, drain her dry with his brother in order to become a hybrid.

"I know that I probably shouldn't have but Matty, it's so obvious that you've fallen for her!" Katherine rushed out in fear that he would get angry with her. "It's so clear that you've fallen for Elena, and I just didn't want you to get hurt and I was-"

Matthias cut off Katherine by holding up his hand, she shut her mouth and gave him a nervous look. "I'm not mad, Kat." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I just, I know that Nik will be worried or disappointed in me."

"He definitely found the situation humorous." Katherine told him with a roll of her eyes. "Nonetheless, he said that he'd you soon and he should be here by the next full moon, or before that with Greta and Markus."

Matthias nodded his head, "That's to be expected. Markus and Greta are the only witches that we can trust."

Katherine hummed and took a seat on the couch. "So would you like to hear my plan?" She asked and Matthias nodded his head while sitting beside her.

Katherine proceeded to tell Matthias her plan, she would find out as much as possible while lingering around the Scooby Doo gang which left Matthias to try and get back into the circle of trust. He didn't know how he would do that but the only way back in would be through Elena and he wasn't exactly keen on seeing her again.

Not now anyways.

Katherine sighed and leaned against Matthias, he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer to him. The two really wanted this to be over, and then Matthias would take Katherine on a trip with him while Klaus went off to make hybrids. He wanted a break from all of this and a vacation with his best friend sounded like the best thing to him right now.

"Soon, we'll be rid of this town and everyone in it." Matthias promised her.

Katherine frowned at his words, there was something about the promise that didn't feel real. "Matthias, promise me that no matter what you feel for Elena, you will not let them harm you."

Matthias rested his head against her own, "I promise Kat."

Satisfied with the promise, Katherine let her eyes droop before she fell asleep. Matthias listened to the sound of her breathing before he looked at his phone, something he had been dreading to do.

Elena's number along with Damon's were the only two that spammed him with texts and phone calls. His eyes skimmed over Damon's, the male vampire was asking for an explanation and demanding that Matthias come over tomorrow to explain.

It was Elena's texts that Matthias felt his chest hurt, she was angry with him, and he knew that she had every right to be. He had lied to her, lied to her about everything and much like Damon, she was demanding answers.

Looking at Katherine, he knew that he would be joining her tomorrow when she visited the Salvatore's.