xix.

chapter nineteen.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

Matthias sighed heavily at the sound of Elena's voice as she entered their shared room.

"Elena-" He started but she cut him off.

"Don't Elena me." She told him with a shake of her head. "When were you going to tell me that you would die? Would I have ever known?"

Matthias looked at her and she sucked in a breath at the broken look on his face. "Elena, Elijah's plan to kill Klaus requires you to die. How could I live with myself, how could I live on knowing that my twin brother and I have to kill you? Drain every last drop of blood from your body? How?" He asked her and Elena didn't have an answer for him. "I'm okay with dying, I really am."

"But I'm not!" Elena said sternly, her eyes watering. "You can't die Matthias."

Matthias walked up to her and cupped her face gently. "Elena, if I have to live in a world where you are not in it, then I don't want to." He told her seriously and Elena's heart was racing at this point. "I let you in Elena, I let you in when I never let anyone before, I showed you a part of myself that no one's seen and if I have to die in order for you to live, then so be it."

"But how would I live?" Elena asked him confused. "You said it yourself that I have to die for you to break the curse."

Matthias tucked her hair behind her ear before kissing her forehead. "Elijah had a plan for that."

The couple stayed in that position for a moment longer before Elena wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. Matthias held her close and breathed in her scent, he wasn't ever going to share that secret with anyone, it was his burden to bare and his alone.

Niklaus hated that he had done it, but he understood why. Matthias and he have never been apart before, instances like now were rare and both parties loathed how they weren't working together but it had to be done. Matthias knew that he would never be able to truly be with Elena considering who his family is but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't try, even if it was only for a few days longer.

"What are you wearing tonight?" Matthias asked her, changing the subject.

Elena noticed this but didn't attempt to continue with the previous topic. "Stefan said that he has some 60's outfits that I can choose from." She told him before pulling away and looking at him. "Come help me decide?" She asked and Matthias smiled at her.

"Of course." He said before she pulled away completely.

The two intertwined hands and Matthias let Elena lead him upstairs to Stefan's room where the male had the outfits waiting for her. Stefan was nowhere in sight, much to Matthias' gratitude, when they entered the room.

Elena walked over to the box left out for her and she started to dig through it. Matthias watched from his place against the doorframe, his mind swirling with thoughts on how tonight could possibly go since Klaus deemed it best that Matthias not know what he's planning in order to keep the façade that he's mad at Klaus like Elijah was.

"His relatives were such packrats." Elena commented before pulling out two different outfits and showing them to Matthias. "Okay, so what do you think?" She asked him while holding up the two hangers. "Twiggy or sexy hippy?"

Matthias chuckled as he approached her. "Hard choice, you'd look good in either one." He complimented her.

Elena felt her cheeks heat up as she smiled at him, a small laugh leaving her lips. "You're supposed to be helping me." She reminded him.