xxvi.

filler chapter 1/2 before season three!

chapter twenty-six.

Matthias entered the apartment before Klaus and Elijah had.

Katherine's eyes widened when she noticed the state that he was in. He was covered in blood from head to toe and didn't even look bothered by it.

"Matty." She gasped while rushing to him. "It's been two days!" She scolded while looking him over. "I was worried."

Matthias gave her a small smile, even with his humanity off, he could never be cold to her. "I am fine, Kat." He told her softly. "Just tired."

"Go shower." She ordered him. "Then we'll talk."

Matthias nodded and left to shower, just as he did so, the apartment door opened, and Katherine glared at the person entering.

"Hello Katherine." Stefan greeted her while walking inside.

"Two days, I've been waiting." She lied, playing the part as the compelled vampire in fear. "I'm supposed to be free of Klaus' compulsion by now." She reminded him. "He's supposed to be dead."

"We ran into complications." Stefan told her.

"Complications?" Katherine asked in disbelief.

Stefan approached her, "Doesn't really matter. I just need to find him. Do you have any idea where he might be?"

Suddenly Katherine grabbed Stefan and held him against the wall, much to his confusion but she shushed him. "Klaus, you're back." She said before revealing Stefan to him, "Look who decided to come for a visit."

Klaus was amused when he spotted Stefan, a part of him was happy to see his friend again but he knew that even if he gave Stefan his memories back, it wouldn't be the same. He wasn't a fool, he knew this, but he did have a sad tinge of hope.

"You just keep popping up, don't you?" Klaus stated.

"I need your help..." Stefan said as Elijah closed the door. "For my brother."

"Well, whatever it is, he's gonna have to wait a tick." Klaus told him. "You see, I have an obligation to my brother that requires my immediate attention." Klaus said before walking past him and towards Katherine.

Katherine and Elijah met gazes, he could see that she was holding a mixture of feelings towards seeing him, but she tore her gaze away when Klaus motioned her over to him. Klaus couldn't find the dagger that he had, he knew where he had left it and now it was gone.

"You understand how important family is, or you wouldn't be here." Elijah said to Stefan. "My brother gave me his word that he would reunite me with my own."

"And so, we will." Matthias suddenly spoke up from behind Elijah.

Elijah spun around and Matthias plunged the dagger into his heart. Elijah cried out in pain and tried to shove Matthias away from him, but Matthias was stronger than him. Elijah then noticed the dull look in Matthias' eyes and instantly knew that Matthias had shut it off. He couldn't say anything though, he was helpless as Matthias slowly laid his body down before looking up to see everyone's shocked faces.

"What?" He asked while adjusting his shirt. "Were we leaving him awake?"

Katherine looked at Elijah's body sadly but knew that Klaus was going to dagger him. His betrayal to Klaus and Matthias was reason enough.

Much to their surprise, Matthias ran at Stefan and pushed him against the wall. "Now, what to do with you?" Before Stefan could say anything, Matthias stabbed him in the chest with a stake making Stefan groan in pain. "Do you feel that? It's scraping against your heart. The slightest little movement and you're dead."

"Matty!" Katherine yelled at him while Klaus looked amused. "He's just trying to help his brother."

"The witches said you had a cure. Make me a deal." Stefan pleaded while looking at Klaus. "Just give me the cure, and I'll do whatever you want."

Matthias looked over to Klaus and Klaus nodded at him. Matthias pulled the stake out and went to go sit down while pulling Katherine to sit down next to him. Klaus walked over to the kitchen counter and started to pour himself a glass of blood while Stefan was on the floor gasping for pain.

"Trouble is I don't know if you'd be any good to me the way you are now. You are just shy of useless." Klaus said before drinking.

"I'll let you handle this, brother." Matthias stated and Klaus looked at him confused. "I'll make sure everything is ready for our departure."

Klaus nodded and Matthias pulled Katherine to stand with him. Stefan looked at them all confused, but the dots were connecting. Katherine didn't look afraid, she actually looked comfortable when she was near both Klaus and Matthias, and it suddenly made sense.

"You knew all along." Stefan chuckled bitterly. "You three were working together."

Klaus smirked, "Yes and no." He said. "In the beginning but then my brother went and fell in love."

Matthias rolled his eyes at Klaus before pulling Katherine with him as he picked up Elijah's body. "Don't piss me off right now, Klaus."

Klaus held up his hands in surrender with a chuckle before watching as Matthias kissed Katherine's head goodbye and leaving with Elijah's body.

Katherine turned back around with sigh and sat down on the couch once more. She wanted to go with Matthias but knew that Klaus probably needed her help with proving to Stefan that his blood was the cure, now that she was going to hate.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

Matthias was sitting in the warehouse patiently as he waited for Klaus to arrive with Stefan. Matthias checked his phone to see that Katherine had texted him.

"Brother, should I expect that you're joining me?" Klaus asked him with a smile.

Matthias shook his head, "You know that I promised Katherine a vacation." Klaus frowned but knew that he couldn't make Matthias stay by him. "When you find your pack, call me and I'll be there." Matthias promised and Klaus was relieved to hear that.

"Always and forever." Klaus said while embracing Matthias.

Matthias smiled, "Always and forever."

With that Klaus watched Matthias leave before looking at Stefan and deciding that he would make do with the help that he had.

Matthias met up with Katherine at the edge of town and smiled at her. Katherine thought about telling Matthias that Elena was alive but didn't, instead she decided that she would get Matthias as far away from the town as possible.

"You turned it off." Katherine stated and Matthias knew that he couldn't keep anything from her.

Matthias shrugged, "How'd you know?"

"Matthias you wouldn't have ever attacked Stefan like that." Katherine pointed out. "I knew the minute you daggered Elijah, though."

"You're still as smart as ever." Matthias chuckled as he continued to drive past the town limits. "But lets admit, I've always been more fun without feelings."

Katherine didn't comment, she simply rolled her eyes at him and watched the road past them as they drove. "Where are we going?"

"Wherever you want, Kitty Kat." He told her with a smile. "I promised."

An excited look appeared in Katherine's eyes as she realized that they were going to have so much fun if she had anything to do about it. Matthias shook his head at the look in her eyes but didn't say anything, instead, he pressed his foot down on the gas and Katherine let out a giggle at the speed they were gathering.

She wouldn't admit it, but Matthias was right, he was always more fun without his conscience.