xxii.

chapter twenty-two.

Matthias and Elijah were having tea together, the two catching up on what Elijah's missed since his departure that night. Matthias obviously had to lie, saying that he hadn't spoken to Klaus in a while when Elijah had come to him, but that was all that Matthias had lied about.

Suddenly, Elena walked inside and the two looked at her in slight surprise. Matthias wasn't entirely sure that she would come back but Matthias knew that she would, he could see that Elena was in deep with his brother just as much as he was with her.

"Welcome back." Elijah greeted.

"Tell me." Elena said. "What is your curse?" She took off her jacket and crossed her arms over her chest.

Matthias looked at Elijah and Elijah motioned him to tell her himself, prompting him to sigh as he looked at his girlfriend. "My family was quite close, but Klaus and I never got along with our father." Elena noticed the look in Matthias' eyes, the pain that resurfaced as he recalled his past. "When we became vampires, we learned the truth. We were not his son's." Matthias let out a bitter laugh. "My mother had been unfaithful, and we were her darkest secret."

"What happened?" Elena asked him softly while sitting beside him on the couch and taking hold of his hand.

"When my father discovered this, he hunted down, and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family." Elijah said, speaking for Matthias when he struggled. "Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day."

Elena looked confused. "A war between the species?"

"The vampires and the werewolves." Elijah told her.

Elena looked confused as she connected the dots in her head slowly. "So, your real father was from a werewolf bloodline?" Elena asked and Matthias nodded. "So, what does that make you guys? A vampire? A werewolf?"

"We're both." Matthias told her. "A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewolf or vampire." Matthias explained to her. "Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore, the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that our werewolf side would become dormant."

"That's the curse that Klaus wants to break?" Elena asked them.

"He wants to trigger that part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He'd build his own race. Endangering not just vampires, but everyone." Elijah explained to her, and Matthias rolled his eyes at that.

"But you helped him." She said before looking to Matthias. "You both did."

"I helped him because I loved him." Elijah defended himself. "That's changed, now he must die."

"We have the dagger now." Elena said, a tinge of hope in her voice. "We can stop him."

"Elena, when a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals." Matthias spoke up. "An Original can't be killed by anything but white oak ask on a silver dagger." He told her and Elena hugged herself in disbelief. "So, you see the conundrum. The dagger does not work."

Elena let out a scoff. "What, are you saying that Klaus can't be killed?"

"There's one way to kill any supernatural species at the hands of the servants of nature themselves." Elijah told her.

"A witch." Elena figured. "If they can channel that much power." She sighed and shut her eyes. "But it would kill them."

"The curse must be broken during the full moon. When Klaus is in transition. That's when he'll be at his most vulnerable. A witch with enough power... can kill Klaus." He told her.