ix.

chapter nine.

The two pulled apart and stood there for a moment, Elena's heart was racing as she feared that Matthias would reject her. Instead, she was surprised when Matthias kissed her again, the feeling was euphoric, and he wanted to feel it again.

Matthias has never had a crush before and if Elena Gilbert was his first crush then so be it. He'd face the consequences later.

Matthias pulled Elena closer, and she melted into his arms, her body moving according to his own as he lifted her up and placed her on the countertop of the kitchen. Elena tilted her head, allowing the kiss to deepen which caused her head to spin at what she was feeling.

Finally pulling apart so that they could breathe, Matthias rested his forehead against her own and closed his eyes. They didn't have a lot of time together, they both knew this and as much as it hurt them to know this, they wished that they had more time.

Matthias knew that he was in too deep now, he was falling for Elena Gilbert and the feelings were only growing the more that he stayed around her.

"What happens now?" Elena asked him breathlessly while biting her bottom lip.

Matthias wasn't entirely sure where they went from here, their time was short and when Elena learned who he was, he was sure that she would hate him.

"We know how this is all going to end, Lena." He told her softly while cupping her cheek. "But for now, we just enjoy the time that we have left."

Elena smiled and nodded her head before closing the gap between them once more. Matthias didn't protest and pulled her close once more, this was a feeling that Matthias was sure he'd never get used too.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

After making out and not being able to keep their hands off one another, Matthias and Elena finally settled in.

Matthias spotted Elena outside, she was wrapped in a blanket and lost in thought as she took in the peacefulness of the lake. Matthias walked over to her and didn't know how to let his presence be known, he wasn't sure if they were dating or not, but being affectionate wasn't something that he knew how to do.

Deciding to take a risk, Matthias walked over and wrapped his arms around Elena from behind. Elena smiled widely, she had heard him approaching but wanted to see what he would do. This was a step in a good direction and that's all she could ask for really.

"A penny for your thoughts?" He asked her softly while Elena leaned into his embrace.

"Jeremy broke his arm diving off this dock when he was 6." She told him. "My dad taught me how to fish right off the edge up there." Matthias hummed while tightening him hold around her waist. "So many memories." Elena bit her lip and turned her head slightly to look at Matthias. "Have you ever thought about the future?"

Matthias tilted his head in wonder, "Like in general or with you?"

Elena smiled softly, "You couldn't have possibly thought about our future." She giggles. "But just in general."

"Sometimes." Matthias told her honestly. "I often think about the past more, like how things would have been different if I hadn't become a vampire. Would I have fallen in love? Would I have had kids of my own? Things like that."

Elena hummed, "I understand that. You were turned and everything suddenly changed. There was no growing old or setting down roots, you just continued to live."

"That," Matthias nodded, "And I never found anyone worth living for until now."

Until now, the simple words were enough to have Elena's heart soaring as a wide smile appeared on her face once more. Elena twisted around in his arms and places a small peck on his lips before the two stood there together, just enjoying one another's presence.