Chapter 13

For quite some time, there was only darkness and the sound of distant screams and thunder, and the heavy sensation of falling. 

One eye snaps open. Forms moved dimly above him. A row of swinging pendulums surfaced from the shadows of his vision. Overwound clocks all out of sync, groaning, gears about to break. 

Soobin found he could turn his head. Blurred shapes began to resolve, gentle hands in his face. Above him, round faceless shapes swarmed closer, behind them the light flickered on and off. 

Soobin was lying on a cold ceramic floor. On the floor of a a room.

I know this floor.

I know this room.

Farther away, contents of the rooms came into shape. 

I know those cabinets.

I know those rags. 

Soobin tried to move his body, but could only rotate his head. His eyes flicked to a card table and two folding chairs beyond the door. He was suddenly certain then that, if he could persuade his body to rise, he would find a pair of reading glasses on the table. A half finished game of monopoly. A mug of streaming still hot coffee. 

Mumbled voices started to reach his ear above the thunder. He strained, tried to listening, tried to identify who that was that was speaking, tapping on his face. It was someone he knew , he could feel the familiarity as he stared at the swirling face. 2 swirling faces. 

Soobin pushed up onto his elbow, but that's all he could manage. He noticed strange black marks and liquid on the floor. He tried to push himself up fully to a sitting, dark orbs swam in his vision. 

Then a giant crash. Everything goes blinding white. 

So bright.                    So close.                    So loud. 

It sounded like an explosion, yet there was no pain nor burning sensation on his body. Then Soobin was sitting upright, heart hammering. he held a trembling hand before his eyes. Another hand came into his view and he looked up, eyes stretching so wide, it physically hurt his skin around his eyeballs.  

A boy. 

The boy was on the floor with Soobin now, kneeling, embracing him. His arms circled around the other boy's neck as if it was the only thing to hold onto in reality. His body was so cold, and Soobin could feel his trembling as they hold on to one another. 

Without slackening, the boy says Soobin's name. Repeats it again and again, and with each reprise the reality gains an ounce more weight, grows more solid. 

"Soobin.. Soobin. Can you remember me?"

Soobin's tense muscles gave way as he slumped and watched the boy before him. 

"Beomgyu," he says. "Beomgyu. You're Beomgyu."

In a flash it all came to him. Him falling off the cliff, Yeonjun's fading face above the ground. He probably had lost consciousness for he couldn't remember anything else from there. But one thing for sure, somehow he survived?