Ch. 42: Authority

(Y/n)'s POV

"Lady (Y/n)... I wasn't expecting to see you up and around so early," Sir Tokoyami approached me, evidently assuming that Val had brought me home. He wasn't wearing his cape like usual, so Dark Shadow was wrapped around his arm and hiding under his chin, trying to avoid the daylight. He had on a black, high-neck tank that fit snuggly on his chest-- my family crest embroidered just below the neckline. It was a nice look for him, and probably more comfortable in the heat, but Dark Shadow didn't seem to be appreciating it.

"What can I say, there's work to be done! I've been gone for so long and I have been waiting to get back to normal," I smiled, feeling safe with all of my friends and allies surrounding me.

"Well, if you truly believe you are ready, I know the naval fleet is waiting for your orders," Sir Tokoyami informed me. I nodded and turned my attention to the fleet of Spanish ships. I sighed. I never thought the day would come when I was giving orders to our navy.

"Sero!" I called out, waiting for the reliable man to come to my aid. I looked up towards the crow's nest and, sure enough, a dark-haired head popped out over the edge. Disbelief was plastered across his face as he took in my image. "Quit your staring, bucko! I need a bridge to the head ship of the Spanish fleet!"

Sero nodded, and began to climb down to the deck. He constantly kept looking back at me, as if he was worried that if he looked away for too long I would disappear. He finally got down and I met him on the other side of the ship.

"Are you going to say anything to me or do you prefer interpretive dance?" I asked, irritated that he wouldn't properly acknowledge me. Sero, surprisingly enough, was one of the people I trusted most on the ship. He was one of the few people who didn't let their personal feelings affect their decision making. He heard me out when no one else would.

"Why?" He muttered, as if asking himself.

"What kind of response is that?!" I shot back.

"Why did you go?! Why did you leave when you knew it was more likely that you would die than survive?! Why would you abandon the Captain when you knew he needed you?! Why did you trust me more than the Captain?! What if you died, (L/n)? How--" Sero released everything that he had been holding up inside of him, but came to a halt when I grabbed his hand and placed a scrap of paper in it that had been tucked in my brassiere and placed it in his hand. His eyebrows shot up at my indecent hiding place, but he took the note anyways. He unfolded the paper to unveil messy timelines and brainstorms centered around me being taken prisoner by the League.

"I knew what I was doing and I don't regret a thing-- I especially don't regret trusting you," I affirmed, his eyes still stained with worry and self-doubt.

"But why me? Why not the Captain or Kirishima or even Mina?!"

"Because they weren't looking at this situation the same way you were. I could tell that you had your doubts about the plan... you're easy to read, Sero. You also acknowledge me as an equal and don't let your friendship with me stand in the way of what needs to be done. The Captain sees me as part of the crew, yes, but he can't shake off his concern for me after what has happened in the past. You were the only person who I knew would give me one last chance. It was less about me trusting you, and more that you trusted me."

"(L/n)..."

"Please, I am so sick of hearing that name," I grumbled. "Hey everyone! I'd like to make an announcement!" I called out, collecting everyone on deck's attention. "I understand, for most of you, your culture only uses first names for close relationships. That being said-- I feel like we've been through enough so that you all can use my first name. Please call me (Y/n)... I'm tired of hearing my father's name."